turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Question for VA hunters

Started by barry, May 06, 2012, 05:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

Is there gonna be any decent hunting left for our last 2 weeks?
I've only been 7 times but have hunted hard and long each time except for my one kill on the 2nd Saturday.
I'm hunting central VA and my last few hunts have produced pretty good roost gobbling but it gets quiet real quick after they hit the ground. I'm gonna keep after them but it's no fun huntin' a turkey with lock-jaw.
What are other VA hunters experiencing and where are you located?

sippy cup

myself its slowing down Ive been calling for other guys i tagged out last Monday to me the best hunting was first 2 weeks in western part of state :OGturkeyhead:
beware of longdale legend

VaTuRkStOmPeR

It's been virtually done for a week and a half on my properties in
Fauquier and Loudoun.  They may gobble a couple times on the roost but most are silent when they hit the ground.  The few that aren't silent seem to respond respond to the call but are totally uninterested in the idea of working to it.  Gobblers have regrouped and hens are not in their company.

It was the same way on our Wounded Warrior hunt the past two days in Allegheny county Maryland.

I've got a couple people I'm going to take this week but I anticipate being within 40 yards of the roost tree in the mornings and/or doing the same a couple of evenings.

You have to go to know and there is always the chance you could find one that really wants to die.....,

Goodluck Barry!

chbarnha

i hunt in surry and prince george counties and the birds have still been working well . gobbling some on the roost and still had birds gobbling throughout the morning yesterday. guess all we can do i keep hunting and see what happens

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak

forcercon1

I hunt in Brunswick County which is South of richmond and the hunting in my area has been poor since the 1st week. A week or so prior to youth day and the 1st couple of days in the general season birds were going crazy.... After that, a few gobbles on the roost and it was done. I hunt private properties in both Brunswick and Greensville county and it seems a common problem for most hunters in this area this year.

GOLD HUNTER

The birds i've seen hunting and have call up for other guys are gobbling good on the roost and we killed a few last week...... you just got to get in on them good b4 they fly down @ this time of year in Va. and they are just now getting worked up in the N/F land in the mtns of Va and can be killed ezer now then the 1st day of the season.

good luck and i know the rock farm will have a few kills come up !!!  :fire:

VAHUNTER

i have not heard much around my part of the State for over a week. you might find a occasional bird fire up but IMHO the best hunting is well behind us. I look for it to be over within the next couple weeks. Hopefully i'm wrong.
Good things come to those who wait

BirdWorker

Located in Powhatan County and hunting/gobbling has slowed significantly.  Took nice gobbler on opening day and had a couple birds coming in during 2nd week but they seemed to be disturbed by my on-going test of wills with a black snake that wanted to reside in my hunting vest...I guess there was just too much commotion.  During first week in May there was no gobblling at all except for 1 bird on the roost about 1/2 mile away on land I don't have permission to hunt.

Also, on Wednesday the 18th around 6:45am, I heard about 12 shots from a location holding 2-3 gobblers...probably jakes.  Two different shotguns.  I've not heard those birds gobble since that morning.  I'm not certain but I wonder if someone slipped into the roost and shot those birds off the limb.  It had rained that night and morning and they could have slipped in very quietly.  That has been quite upsetting for me.

Good luck everyone for the rest of the season...be safe.

strutnva

I hunt in Henry and Patrick counties and the numbers of gobblin birds are down due to death but the remaining few are still gobblin some . Heard one on Saturday that gobbled great for over an hour across a property line, if we could have been there we would have had a great chance to kill him.  Still hearing my buddies say that they are hearing birds every trip out.  No doubt a different year than normal but still not bad at all here.