turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Black Hills Bird

Started by BHhunter, May 06, 2012, 03:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BHhunter

Got this boy today at 11 AM. He had hens with him, but was leading them in. Struck him with the box call as it was windy and he didn't seem to interested, then hit him with some cuts on a crystal pot and he came running with the hens following behind him. 1" spurs and 9 1/2" beard. 1st one I got with the new Mossy 935, Sumtoy .675, and Hevi-13 #7's. Shot at 37 steps and absolutely annihilated his head. Had a few in the upper part of the breast that passed clear through to the skin on the opposite side.

RutnNStrutn

Congrats on your 1st bird with the new gun!! :icon_thumright:

TRKYHTR

Congrats on a nice gobbler.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Wingbone

Great job with your new 935!
In Hoc Signo Vinces

marshboy

Nice!  Congrats.
What do you think of the bird numbers in the Hills this year?
Greg

BHhunter

Quote from: marshboy on May 06, 2012, 04:48:47 PM
Nice!  Congrats.
What do you think of the bird numbers in the Hills this year?
Greg
Not bad, they have been higher, but I may not be seeing a representative sample. I think they are more spread out this year since we hardly had a winter. I don't think they ever really got into their big winter groups.

Tail Feathers

Congrats on the bird and the new setup working so well. :icon_thumright:

I have a Black Hills question.  Our turkey traveling group has one member who is handicapped.  His mobility is limited to a couple hundred yards or so on decent terrain.  Are there places in the Black Hills that he could have a decent hunt?  Somewhere he could be dropped near a good spot?
I've never been there so I don't know how rugged they are?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

TRKYHTR

Quote from: Tail Feathers on May 06, 2012, 06:51:42 PM

I have a Black Hills question.  Our turkey traveling group has one member who is handicapped.  His mobility is limited to a couple hundred yards or so on decent terrain.  Are there places in the Black Hills that he could have a decent hunt?  Somewhere he could be dropped near a good spot?

Yes there are some places.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

beagler

Never Misses

Spring Creek Calls

Congrats on a great looking Merriam!

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Wrangler95

Very nice gobbler,congrats!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Tail Feathers

Quote from: TRKYHTR on May 06, 2012, 07:05:58 PM

TRKYHTR
Thanks Joe.  Didn't we meet in KS last year?  I was with Firedup there.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

BHhunter

Till May 15 there are a lot of Forest Service roads that are closed. With a little scouting you could find one that would be easy access and he would have a chance to get a bird just setting up along the road. China Gulch area near Hill City is one such area that comes to mind. Prairie areas may be a better bet. Meade county has a lot of birds and ranchers are willing to let you hunt. Union Center area is one I used to go to before gas prices got so bad. I've had ranchers in that area tell me I could hunt if I would shoot 20 or 30 of them.
In the hills I pretty much park and climb to get away from the road crew. This one was about 2 miles in.

TRKYHTR

Quote from: Tail Feathers on May 06, 2012, 08:38:01 PM
Quote from: TRKYHTR on May 06, 2012, 07:05:58 PM

TRKYHTR
Thanks Joe.  Didn't we meet in KS last year?  I was with Firedup there.

I've never turkey hunted KS. I did hunt deer there a few years ago. I can't remember if we met there or not. I've got that A G E disease.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

GregWinesette