turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My 2011 Turkey Rigs!

Started by VAlongbeard84, February 27, 2011, 06:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAlongbeard84

Guys, Here is my 2011 turkey rigs. The one on the left is a Remington 11-87 SPS-T Super Mag in Mossy Oak Obsession outfitted with a .660 Jellyhead and a Nikon Monarch Turkey Pro 1.5-4.5x scope with quick detach warne rings. I shoot Hevi-13 3.5/2.25/7 loads out of this gun, and it is an awesome shooter. Included is my best pattern to date.

The one on the right is going to be my mainstay this year. The 12 probably won't get used much this year. It is a Remington 11-87 Sportsman 20 gauge with a 26" barrel in realtree hardwoods hd. It is outfitted also with a Nikon Monarch Turkey Pro 1.5-4.5x scope with warne quick detach rings sitting on an aimtech saddle mount. Love this rig. Just have to nail down the combo. Don't know whether it will be the federal heavyweight 7's with a PG Tempest .570 or RSF, or nitros with a PG .555 or .570 ported. Will be busy patterning this month. Let me know what you think.

[attachment deleted by admin]

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

sugarray

They sure look nice.

In my 870 20 gauge with the Rem SF, I only got 101 as my best at 40 yds.  This is good for my son to hunt with, but you might want a little tighter pattern.  So, I would go with the PG tempest .555.  This was shooting the Fed HW 1.5 oz #7 load.

VAlongbeard84

I tried the .555 tempest last year, and I didn't like the patterns it gave me. It would give me a great number one shot, and a very low number the next. It was too tight for this rig, it was blowing the patterns. I swapped for the .570. The RSF would give me in the neighborhood of 150 in a 10" at 40 yards on average. I want to run the tempest .570 also to see how it does. I think it may be the cat's meow in this gun.

sugarray

Great for you, mine sure didn't shoot 150, and I was only hoping for 120's.  This load is a killer inside 40.  My son will likely prove he can't shoot that far anyway.  So we'll see.  I am confident in the load and gun.

VAlongbeard84

The shorter barrels with the hw 7's like a tighter choke from what I have seen. If you went to a .555 tempest, you would get great numbers. I wouldn't right now for the reason that you don't want it too tight for your son, but just as a reference for down the road. I would bet the .555 tempest would be great in your rig. The RSF seems to do well in the longer barrelled guns, over 24". It may be the one I end up settling on for the feds, it is very consistent in this gun, just want to see if the PG .570 tempest will do any better.

Eric Gregg

sugarray