turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Late season turkey hunting in S. Nebraska

Started by opster246, May 05, 2012, 09:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

opster246

I made a trip out to nebraska in late April and came home empty handed.  I could not believe my wife said I could go back out if I took my son!!  This is great, but I was wondering what I should expect for late season public land turkey hunting in the southern nebraska area.  I have wanted to take my son on a father/son hunting trip, but thought it would be better in a couple years because he would be older.  He is a new hunter and I didn't want to make the trip out if the hunting at that time of year is not very productive.  I imagined taking him on a trip during either the youth season or the earlier part of the season.  I have never hunted turkey that late and have no idea what to expect.  Any suggestions for late season hunting would be appreciated.  I was hoping for a Rio subspecies in the s. central area if anyone has any public land suggestion to try to get my son his first turkey and his dad's first Rio.  Thanks for any help!! :thanks:

Ded Goblr

You might try the Cambridge area, public area called the Harry S. Strunk wildlife area. Alot of turkeys, not many hunters in the area. A fair amount of land owers will let you hunt if you ask them. I was out yesterday, and the Toms are still hot and easy to call, as most of the hens have left them.. Good luck!! DG

opster246

Thanks!  That's the area I was looking at - either Red Willow, Harlan, Swanson or Harry Strunk.  Appreciate the help!!