turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

DONE in North Carolina

Started by SouthEastNC, May 04, 2012, 04:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthEastNC

Been a real tough season for my hunting group down here in Pender and Bladen counties. They've been henned-up bad and not responding well to the call. My first bird of this season a few weeks ago was one I'd had to stalk up on.

This morning after not hearing anything at one spot, at 6:15 I ride my bike down the road a mile to the edge of some big timber bottomland and hear one gobbling a little inside. I move into what sounds about maybe 200 yards or so from him and set up.

Spend an hour calling about every 8 minutes or so, and he only gobbles at maybe 1 out of every 3 or 4 times. He did not sound hot on me at all. He gobbled at the crows more than me. He never sounded like he was moving any closer, and then shut-up at 7:20.

So after 25 minutes of not hearing anything from him, I figure he'd probably been henned-up the whole time and I should move on to try to find another bird. So I stand up and go to my decoys and then he sounds off at a crow flying overhead, and it sounds like he may have moved a little closer. So I head back to my spot and start clucking. Sure enough, 15 minutes later I see him about 40 yards away through some trees making his way to me. He disappears behind them and I pull up my gun. He popped out 15 yards in front of me and about flipped backwards from a face full of Mag Blends.

1-inch curved sharp spurs. 10 1/4" beard. Nice 3 year old Eastern.
Go Heels, Go America

tomstopper

Congrats. Way to have the patience.

captin_hook

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

RutnNStrutn

neal

Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

boomer

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase