turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Great morning

Started by wisconsinteacher, May 04, 2012, 02:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

Well at 3:30, I thought you can't shoot one in bed.  I did not roost one last night so went to a spot where I have been hunting.  At sunup I had a tom on the limb 60 yards away.  I was in a field with 2 hens and a jake decoy.  The tom came out 100 yards away and went out another 100 and strutting a gobbling for 20 minutes.  Without anything spooking him, he took off running.  I looked out the blind to see the 5 jakes chasing the tom.  I gave the tom some time and went in the woods where I saw him last.  I found a tree and needed 2 more steps to go and look over to see a hen and a red head 30 yards away.  They did not putt but walked away.  I set up on them and an hour later, had a jake kick my hen decoy's butt.  The tom gobbled 2 more times but walked away.  This was the first time, I have ever passed on a bird.  It feels great.  The jake was inside 25 yards for over 10 minutes and was dead in my mind.  I put the gun up and said, "I win" in my head.  So, for not sleeping in, I saw 6 jakes, 4 hens, and 1 tom.  Now I need to wait for my wife to get home and put one of those birds in front of her gun.

Spring_Woods

That's what it's all about right there. Gotta love it
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

Thunderbolt

I agree thats what it's all about...I was out today working on my second tag...did'nt even hear a gobble...but just being out there and living in this great country that alows us too....it don't get any better then that...Thunderbolt :gobble:

Spring Creek Calls

Congratulations on getting to the point where you can let one walk. It's a good place to be!

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

tomstopper

Quote from: Thunderbolt on May 04, 2012, 07:35:31 PM
I agree thats what it's all about...I was out today working on my second tag...did'nt even hear a gobble...but just being out there and living in this great country that alows us too....it don't get any better then that...Thunderbolt :gobble:
[/quote  :agreed: :z-winnersmiley:

RutnNStrutn

Congrats on your decision and good luck on the rest of the season!!

KYFrid

Sounds like an action packed morning for sure. Look at it this way, your gonna have alot of gobblers to hunt next year.  :funnyturkey:

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase