turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ultralite fishing gear?

Started by lightsoutcalls, May 03, 2012, 02:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

Man, I have been itching to get out and fish some creeks that I haven't been on in years.  I wanted to take ultralite gear, which I didn't have.  I didn't spend any money on hunting gear this season, or out of state tags, so I thought it was my duty to invest in a new rig. ;D

I went to Academy Outdoors on my lunch break and picked up an Okuma ultralite spinning reel - 7 ball bearings... should be smooth.  For a rod, I got a Quantum Xtralite 5' rod.  The places I want to fish may have some brushy banks, so there is something to be said for a shorter rod (no off-color remarks please  ;) ).  I got a little Plano nylon bag with 2  plastic snap-lid boxes.  Funny thing with that - if you take one of the little boxes out, a Glock 31 fits quite nicely inside... had the guy at the gun counter check.  I picked up an assortment of beetle spins in 1/8 oz and roadrunner jig heads in 1/16 oz along with some different plastic jig bodies in different colors.  I topped it all off with a couple of 1/16 oz rooster tail spinners and will pick up some willow leaf spinner arms on my way home from work.  I bought 6 lb test line in moss green... couldn't make myself go as low as 4lb...

My wife is having a yard sale Saturday AM.  I hope to be on the creekbank or wading the creek... that moving water has a pants pocket restriction level this time of year... if you know what I mean...  :o

Anyone else fish with ultralite tackle?
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Skeeterbait

I fish ultralite gear for bream and crappie.  Got a pair of BPS Micro Lite Elite reels on 4 1/2 foot Wally Marshall Signature Series spinning rods.  They stay in the boat all the time and when the bass aren't biting, we pull them out and find a school of crappie or bed of bream.  They have saved us several days from going home with a dry livewell.

lightsoutcalls

The creeks around here have some nice open water, but also tend to tighten up in spots where a flyrod, at least in my hands, would be of little use.  The only fly rod I own belonged to my great grandmother and is an old Heddon brand if I remember correctly.  I loved it for catching bream spawning in ponds...  We used to catch the dickens out of them and plop them back in the water.  They get pretty fiesty when they're spawning.
The creeks where I hope to get back to have lots of bream, smallmouth bass and a few largemouth.  We have caught quite a few drum on lures there as well.  They usually end up as critter food (bank fish) when they take the bait.  
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

scoot12

I fish with light gear and do a lot of smallie fishing in the summer,  I got my wife involved and she loves it.  You get a 15-18 inch smallie on the end of the line and it is a blast.   I just release them waiting for the 20 plus incher to mount.  Last year my wife and I caught and released 63 in two days of fishing on small streams,  I have never seen anything like it and she caught 10 over 15 inches.  Have fun its a blast.  Scoot

HogBiologist

All I fish with is an ultralight.  I put 4 or 6 lb diameter braided line so I can get 10 to 12 lb test.  Love my little reel.
Certified Wildlife Biologist