OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

RIO POULT PICS..

Started by Longspur321, May 03, 2012, 08:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longspur321

I was sitting on the edge of a big grassy field in Texas the other evening watching a lone hen feeding/scratching in front of me about 60 yards away. I turned my head for a minute then looked back and there were 2. The 2nd hen just popped out of nowhere. "NEST..." was the first thing that came to my mind. Picked up my binoculars and started looking at her & noticed right away some little dark spots running around underneath her. She laid back down in the grass and would poke her head up every 5 minutes or so. Watched her for about an hour and she never moved from the spot.

I sat till I couldn't take it anymore. I grabbed my camera to see how close I could get and hopefully take some pics. She flushed when I got about 5ft from her. I counted 7 poults. I took a few quick pics while the hen just watched me from 40 yards away, then I hurried back to my tree not to disturb them any more than I had to. A few of the little poults started kee keeing and the mama hen ran back and set back down on them. First time I've ever seen that.
"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."--John Wayne

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."--Steve McQueen

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

neal

Cute little guy! Allthough I'd like to shoot him in 4-5 years! :TooFunny:
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

tomstopper

slamman

way cool.  where was momma close by having a fit I'll bet.

WiLL B

ccleroy

Flydown

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."