OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting Hills

Started by Solid Snake, May 03, 2012, 06:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solid Snake

Where I hunt, it's as flat as a pancake with small woods between corn/soybean fields. I'm hunting with a friend in the southern part of the state that has a LOT more woods and is very hilly so I was looking for any advice to hunt this type of land.

There's a decent size creek that runs along the side of the property and then a really small creek that runs perpendicular to that one - the ground is somewhat flat here. When I was down there a few weeks ago, I saw tracks along the big creek.

Gonna try and roost the birds tomorrow night but if we can't find them my only guess would be to setup on the flatter ground down where the smaller creek feeds into the big one?  

charlie

Don't they say it's best to call a Turkey uphill?  ???

fsu33952

Like Zach said get above them or on the same level if you can and I stress if you can. If you can't do without risking scaring the turkey then sit down and call him where you are. I have seen too many people scare turkeys by thinking they have to get above them. They will come downhill to you if they want to. I have seen tons of turkeys come down him. Always remember that the suckiest place in the woods to set up is probably where you are. ALso know that you scare him then your hunt is over before you even start calling. Be careful.

Solid Snake

Quote from: zach20065 on May 03, 2012, 04:35:18 PM
Quote from: fsu33952 on May 03, 2012, 04:20:13 PM
Like Zach said get above them or on the same level if you can and I stress if you can. If you can't do without risking scaring the turkey then sit down and call him where you are. I have seen too many people scare turkeys by thinking they have to get above them. They will come downhill to you if they want to. I have seen tons of turkeys come down him. Always remember that the suckiest place in the woods to set up is probably where you are. ALso know that you scare him then your hunt is over before you even start calling. Be careful.
I couldnt agree with you more!! I also stress, above them IF YOU CAN. Very well said. If they are hot then they will come down hill. If i am calling to one that is above me and trying to call him down hill i like to call him till he gets to the edge then just shut up on him, because he does have the advantage on you, he will come to the edge alot of times and just look down at where you should be, make him come find you. If you get him fired up then just shut up, they cant take it, they have to come find you.

Thanks guys - this definitely helps! Like I said, I have always hunted flat ground so this is new to me. Have you found that they normally roost on higher ground? I've also heard they like to roost close to water.