OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

which would you buy?

Started by Swamp, May 01, 2012, 08:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeJR

I like auto's with 3.5's to help reduce recoil and reduce flinching with the higher payload.  I've hunted with Browning Gold in 3.5, Rem 870 in 3 and 11-87 Super mag 3.5  I almost bought (borrowed from a friend) the Browning Gold, but to nice of a gun to take into the field for my tastes.  870 was my brothers gun and killed several with it till I purchased the 11-87 SM.  1 for 1 on that gun, but at 15 yrds with a Jelly Head .660 choke the decoys were 3 ft apart, turkey was in the middle and only the turkey received any shot.  Any of the guns listed as noted will do the job, I only have time with Remington and for the price they have been a good gun (My other gun I own is a 1100 from 1975 that just doesn't have enough payload with a 2_3/4 load for my liking).  My old 1100 and the new 11-87 share many of the same parts and I have only had 1 problem with the 1100.  Breach Bolt Buffer cracked causing the hammer not to strike in all the years of use.  less then $4 part and parts and aftermarket parts are very plentiful for the Remington line if that is a consideration.

The_Hunter323

I would buy the 870 for many reasons. reliability, cheaper, more aftermarket parts, more versatile

Swamp

Thanks for all the replys I havent had time to go any were to look at the guns. I have a mossy 535 and have fought with it trying to get a decent pattern im almost sick of even seeing it. More than likely the gun i go with will  only be used for turkeys. 

davisd9

Love my 835 and would not give it up for any other.  870 SM is a great gun.  Shoulder them and see which you like best.  If it was me and just for turkeys, than the 835 hands down.  Nothing wrong with the autos but I am a pump kinda guy.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

vt35mag

Quote from: Swamp on May 07, 2012, 10:44:23 PM
Thanks for all the replys I havent had time to go any were to look at the guns. I have a mossy 535 and have fought with it trying to get a decent pattern im almost sick of even seeing it. More than likely the gun i go with will  only be used for turkeys. 

I have two of them and both put up good #'s.  One averages about 180 hits (stock barrel), and the other is around 210 hits (honed & polished barrel). Both have a Pure Gold .670 choke, and I use Hevi 13 3" 2oz #7's.  They really like Win HV 3" #6's too.