turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

which would you buy?

Started by Swamp, May 01, 2012, 08:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamp

I'm looking into buying a new turkey gun and i like the Remington 11-87  and the 870 the mossy 935 and 835.
I shot lead only normally 3.5'' ,and i know the 11-87 and 935 are autos and that the 870 and 835 are pumps.
i guess I'm just asking which gun would serve me best.

Clif Owen

Buy whichever one feels the best in your hands...assuming that you aren't going to let cost decide it. Sometimes one will feel better than another and an auto does cost more. All will get the job done though.

grousec

I agree if you can get your hands on one of each handle them, shoulder them.   I was in your place a little over two years ago.  However I knew I didn't like pumps (I had a Mossy 500 for awhile). For me there was a limit as to what I was going to spend and it was going to be used only for turkey hunting.            I looked at the Steoger 2000 and the 935 at the time.  Both of those pumps are great turkey guns, and have a large following.  My buddy has a 835 that he has had a long time and can shoot it (and pump it after the shot without thinking).  Not so with me and pumps.  So I surely wouldn't trade my 935 for an 835 or  870.  I found what suites me, and since all for of those guns will make great turkey guns, you need to just buy the one that suits you.

archery1

Quote from: Clif Owen on May 01, 2012, 08:47:27 PM
Buy whichever one feels the best in your hands...assuming that you aren't going to let cost decide it. Sometimes one will feel better than another and an auto does cost more. All will get the job done though.
Take a kid hunting

ILIKEHEVI-13

I would suggest the 870 or 835.  Both are good shotguns.  The 835 will more than likely shoot most loads better.  The 870 will be the better quality gun.  But I have had my 835 since about 1998 and it still works great. 

WildTigerTrout

IMO you should handle all of them and pick the one that YOU like and fits you best. Of the shotguns you mentioned I would choose the Rem. 870. But that's my opinion.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

CASH

x100 about picking the gun that fits/feels good to you.  They will ALL kill turkeys
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

REBELYELL

ccleroy

870, it would be ideal of you could go find a older model one .

ohiostrutter

I was in the same boat as you I looked at everything at my local gunship everything from autos to pumps I ended up buying a 870 super mag spa turkey hands down the best turkey gun ive ever carried I know that the 870s aren't as good as the wingmasters but in my opinion still built better than a mossberg I know a lot of you dissagree with me but that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it

TauntoHawk

I like the feel of an 870 or 11-87 with the sureshot stock but that's me and I've only ever hunted with Remington's
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thunderbolt

Long Shot discussion is not allowed on OG!

This post modified by admin

mountman62

Swamp, if you weren't so far away, i could give you a sweet deal on a new 835, deer/turkey combo still in the box to help make your mind up, i shoot Rems myself
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]

TauntoHawk

Thunderbolt, just as a reference while effective killing range needs to determined by each individual for himself the mods here on old gobbler like to us to keep talk of shots beyond 40yds to ourselves and not post about them.

Not saying you can't do what you are comfortable with they just don't want new hunters on the sight to think that turkey hunting is a long range sport and run out there slinging lead prayers at everything inside of 75.

Just an FYI
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

lowoctane

Do you have a friend that you trust that knows guns in your area? Since all of your choices are good ones, he/she could show you the differences. Or, perhaps your local gun dealer falls into that catagory...
:fud:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life