turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

locating roost area

Started by ryan772, May 01, 2012, 05:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryan772

ok so i been realy busy with work not much time to scout for turkey and season is here yesterday at 7:10 pm i found 5 hens followed by a nice tom....... they never saw me or got spooked so here is the question

birds spotted at 7:10 pm
sunset is 7:30
as your know dark at 8
just curious how far you think they will be roosting from the location i saw them?
thank you

whitemarlin

They could be within a 100 yards or as much as 1000 yards away in 20 mins. Sorry not much help.

ryan772

ok.... so should i listen and look for them more around dark instead of hour before?
and thank you for the reply

lohaus

Depends on how big the woods is.  My favorite spot is a smaller woods.  I watch them head in at night and have a good idea where they are.  If I am watching a field and see them head into the woods at a certain spot then I'm heading to that spot first thing in the morning.  Does it work all the time?  Nope, but I can usually hear where they are in the morning.

ryan772

ok great thank you and i hunting pretty much just woods not much access to fields
thanks for the advise

Tail Feathers

At that time they were probably pretty close to their roost.  Be back in that area to listen for gobbling in the morning.   I'm betting you'll be close enough to start the hunt!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

dirt road ninja

Quote from: Tail Feathers on May 03, 2012, 08:22:57 AM
At that time they were probably pretty close to their roost.  Be back in that area to listen for gobbling in the morning.   I'm betting you'll be close enough to start the hunt!

This is spot on.

mikejd

You can usually get a feel by the birds body language. Sometimes I can see they look like they are in a rush and other times it looked like they are just milling around. If they are relaxed and taking there time they are usually real close if they are be lining  like they have plane to catch they are not were they want to be and could be a distance away. If the foliage is not to heavy yet you will hear a long way so don't worry. Go to were you last saw them and keep your fingers crossed.

ryan772

ok guys thanks alot will be out there tomorrow morning hopefully
thanks for the help