OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lousy NY opener

Started by NYGobblergetter, May 01, 2012, 12:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYGobblergetter

Well, I was all geared up for opener until I woke up this morning to wind and rain. I tried to stay optomistic, but when 7'oclock rolled around and I had yet to hear a gobble I began to get worried. I ended up toughing it out until 10:45 and threw in the towel. As I was driving out of my dads property I saw a lone hen. At least the weather looks better for the weekend when I am taking my dad out.

Anybody do any better than me?

PANYHunter

Our crew had a pretty good day. 4 out of 5 of us got birds. It wasn't the nicest day but they were gobbling more than I expected. Here is the one my dad and I connected on. Not a monster but it's always fun hunting with your dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adamtb

pretty crappy morning here as well. thought i heard 1 or 2 gobbles and then 20 minutes later a gun going off in that general area so im guessing hes toast! 2 guys i know got toms this morning and thats about all i have to report. Glad we still have 30 more days!

dvdegeorge

Rain and fog thisa.m. so I didn't go out till 9:30
Saw 3 toms in fields and called in 2 jakes right across a river at 11:00 am had them at 10 yds let the little guys walk
It was better than I thought it would be

NYGobblergetter

It must have been nicer in the southern part of the state because around Syracuse it was pretty quite. I agree with the 30 days, plenty of time to get two birds

BigEz

I was hunting in the Dansville area and no gobbling on the roost but the hens were very talkative.  Got on a Tom in a field around 10:00, had him cutting me off every call I made and was closing the distance fast until a fox came sprinting in right at the Tom and ended my day. I have been seeing all one hen one Tom combos which is interesting.

Happy hunting
Erik

cfrye11

fallsflight

Although the weather was very crappy,  a friend and I were able to turn these two toms into jellyheads, as they came into the calls together.  They are both 2 year old birds.

tomstopper

Had a gobbler come in to within 50yds but wouldn't offer a shot (stayed in thick brushy area and wouldn't come down the logging road). I was about to leave the woods when he started to gobble and didn't have enough time to set up the decoys. Maybe he would have come closer. I will try to get after him during this week but definitely will this weekend. Good luck to everyone.

njdevilsb

The opener was definitely a wet one.  We had a bird talking as soon as he hit the ground, but just before he came into sight, his hens took him off.  I ended up getting him this morning.  They did the same thing this morning that they did yesterday.

dvdegeorge

Quote from: cfrye11 on May 01, 2012, 09:00:32 PM
quite up in rochester
Yesterday I had late action and heard gobbling today I hunted till noon without even a peep,this is just south of Rochester 

Big_Mike

I shot a nice 2 year old bird with a 10 inch beard & 7/8 spurs & was home by 6:48am in Dutchess County.  Had at least 10 birds going off all around me.  Mike

cfrye11

may 2 - didn't hear a gobbler saw a nice flock as we were leaving on land we can't hunt.

may 3 - fog! so thick I think if herd a bird i was going to try to walk up an touch his roost. I had a bird gobbling about 630 could have been on the priavte where I saw them yesterday. could really tell. had to leave early again for baby sitting dutie.

dvdegeorge

Went out at 10 am today ,,,large Tom strutting with a single hen in the field I sat in all day till noon yesterday :z-dizzy: Was able to get within 200yds in an island in the field but he wouldn't budge to my calls just strutted and then the hen started moving him away towards the far back cover of the field... I tried the flanker button hook and back out walked thru a creek bed then along a step river bank tangles so thick I was crawling only to get bottle neck in brush so thick it was impenetrable  as I crawled to the edge of the field they beat me in by 30 yd's...was drench with sweat as this was an hour and a half ordeal

Long and short he was henned up good!