turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Yellow Stone National Park

Started by Big Timber, April 30, 2012, 10:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Timber

Alright guys, The family and I want to plan a trip to Yellow Stone National Park in the summer of 2013. Any suggestons on where to fly into and stay?

WiLL B

Stay in the park it's a long ways from anywhere, we flew in to Jackson Hole it's a pretty place!!

marshboy

I hope Flintlock chimes in, he was there last summer.
I was also there with my family last summer.  We stayed just outside of the NE entrance at Silvergate, MT.  Part of our reason is there is really no where to stay in the park, to my knowledge, where you can cook your own meals.  They'll skin you there for breakfast, lunch, and supper.
That being said, Yellowstone is huge.  Even though we were only a mile outside of the park, it is a long drive to anywhere in the park.  We got up early and hit the main attractions early, before the crowds arrived.  At some places, there was nowhere to park at the attractions by mid-morning!  After this time of the day, we'd hit the trails and hike.
We were there the last week of July.  Flintlock was there I believe a week or so before us.
I promise you, you will have an awesome trip.  We are already planning when to go back.
Greg

RemingtonRules

I have flown into Salt Lake and driven from there, cheaper than flying into Jackson Hole and get to see some things along the way.  I have stayed in Mammoth Hot Springs at the NE entrance to the park.  There are several bed and breakfast spots there that I enjoyed.

FANMAN

No matter how you get there , it's a trip of a lifetime.

hootn

we went the summer of 07 and then again the fall of 10 and the fall is the best tie for me. the elk were bugling. the first time we camped in the canyon campground and the last time we stayed half way between cody and the east entrance. crazy woman and i are planning on going back out again this fall for 2 weeks. we drive cause we ike to see places as we drive. if we want to take a side trip out to see something then we go then head back towards the park.

scott

Big Timber

Thanks guys for the info, I am doing alot of research on places to stay, inside the park or off the park.

Big Timber

Quote from: FANMAN on May 01, 2012, 04:54:57 PM

WOW, we have got to see this place!!!  :icon_thumright:

gotcha

Quote from: FANMAN on May 01, 2012, 04:54:57 PM

Great picture of Mt.Moran{GTNP}and skillet glacier.Looks like the angle pic was taken at Oxbow bend on the Snake.I lived at the base of Moran 2 summers back in the late 80's,great place.

marshboy

Here are some of my pics from last summer.
Enjoy.

flintlock

Everyone has a different agenda so it really matters what YOU guys want to do.

You will have a good time for sure.  We flew in to Helena MT and drove a few hours over, to save some airfare $.  With what we saved we decided to just stay in the park, since that also saved gas/time and then it gave us more time to hike/see the sites.   

There is a really good forum that I would recommend for research, that really helped us taylor what we wanted to do.   The big thing I would stress is BOOK YOUR ROOMS NOW if staying in the park, as they go FAST.

http://forums.yellowstone.net/

Have a great time and we'll be watching for pics.
Wess

If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!