OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

INDIANA TURKEY SEASON

Started by tyelper, April 30, 2012, 06:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyelper

guys it is tuff in indiana, trying to get a bird, i think in the last 5 days i have heard 3 gobble then silence, i think it has alot to do with the mississippi weather we had in early march, the hens were bred and now some are nesting, but i guess i have 2 more weeks,,,,,,,,,

tomstopper

Keep huntin. Time and effort will pay off.

ridgerunner

Hang in there..Persistance pays off..u got plenty of time. I killed my Indiana bird Saturday am. They have been gobbling their butts off here in the West Central part of State.. Keep at it you'll score.

indybeard

Tell me about it! Nothing but BAD timing around here. Everytime I go out the farmer's out in the field around where I hunt. I go further up in the woods & nothing.Drawing blanks every day since opening day.Youth weekend ,there were gobbles all over the place. Too bad it's not deer season,cause I've seen nothing but deer! This is a place where we've counted up to 74 turkeys at one time, & regularly see them all the time.

tyelper

i have 5 longbeards on a trail cam the sunday of youth season, i had one gobble about 15 minutes opening morning and flew out the oppisite side, second morning i had one fly down about 75 yards and gobble for over a half hour then all of a sudden shut up and never said a word, blanks every since then both morn and evening,,,,,,,i have moved all over 300 acres and zilch, did bump one hen off a nest tho,,,,,,,

nantzh

They are gobbling their heads off on the roost in southern Indiana, but when their feet hit the ground they go silent.  They are paying absolutely no attention to my calling.  I think that the breeding season is completely over.  Yesterday morning i watched three toms walk into a field that a hen was feeding in.  They walked past her at 20 yards and never even looked at her, and this was 30 min after flydown! 

I had numerous strutters on my trail cams everyday the last two weeks of march and the first two weeks of april.  Then it was like a switch was flipped and I haven't got a pic of a strutter since like 4/19.  I have watched a few strut, but I think most of the birds are over it.

Of course, that could all change tomorrow and  I could watch toms breeding hens and them running to my calls.  I have given up on trying to figure them out! 

tyelper

what a joke havent heard or seen a bird all week, what seemed to be an awesome season first of april turned into a dud, im done,,,,

Solid Snake

I've been having a tough time in Indiana as well. Also a guy that is much more seasoned than me and usually gets his bird opening weekend still has his tag.

Last Sunday was the closest I have come but still came out empty handed. Had one gobbling off the roost and on the ground for almost an hour but he wouldn't come to me (I couldn't go to him either b/c he was on another property). I was super pumped though since that was a lot more action that I had seen all season but it was still a letdown when he went silent on me and I never saw him.

Ridgerunner where are you at in west central?