turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

It was 'Lights Out' for tom #100.....

Started by mudhen, April 30, 2012, 03:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudhen

Not that #'s necessarily make for a good hunt, but it was kind of special for me to take my 100th tom.  A little more special because of losing my dad last December.  He was an original turkey hunter, hunting the Missouri Ozarks in the 70's, 80's, and 90's, when the wild turkey programs were just getting ramped up.

This tom was a pain in the caboose.  Worked into 55 yards, but wouldn't finish.  Plenty of gun to try the shot, just didn't seem like a fair shot.  Waited him out, moved a bit, and finally called him out of the woods, and into the wheat, for a 25 yard shot.

As usual, my Lights Out call worked like a charm.  These Nebraska 'Dirty Birds' seem to like the tone and pitch of Wendell's aluminum calls  :)

I'm actually starting to like the coloring on these Heinz 57 birds, and I'll take 1 3/8" spurs anytime....

I know Joe passed 100 last year, and his kid will probably end up with 300+-, but I'm just fine with 100  ;D (104 now, but who's counting?  :icon_thumright:)

mudhen

"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

captin_hook

davisd9

Congratulations!  A major milestone I hope to achieve one day myself.  I still have a little ways to go, lol!  Great bird for the milestone!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Hognutz

Way to go, Mudhen. 100 birds is a milestone. Congrats. That is a nice stinkin' gobbler..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

hookedspur

Awesome! I think the colors great ,Beautiful Bird. :icon_thumright: 100  :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

vaturkey

Congrats Mudhen ! Beautiful Gobbler !  High Fives on reaching 100 Gobblers !  :theman:

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

Longspur321

Awesome man & congrats on #100. That's a beautiful Cornhusker bird. Heading to Nebraska myself in 8 days......
"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."--John Wayne

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."--Steve McQueen

beagler

Never Misses

tomstopper

TRKYHTR

Thats awesome mudhen. Congrats on your 100. We need to hook up and kill a couple together.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

mudhen

Quote from: TRKYHTR on April 30, 2012, 09:20:53 PM
Thats awesome mudhen. Congrats on your 100. We need to hook up and kill a couple together.

TRKYHTR

You read my mind Joe!  I've wanted to hunt with you for awhile now.

We'll chat before next season, maybe even get cranky old Cummings out...

Thanks everyone for the kind replies  :)

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

surehuntsalot

congrats on the bird and reaching a milestone
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

TRKYHTR

Quote from: mudhen on April 30, 2012, 09:45:29 PM
Quote from: TRKYHTR on April 30, 2012, 09:20:53 PM

TRKYHTR

You read my mind Joe!  I've wanted to hunt with you for awhile now.

We'll chat before next season, maybe even get cranky old Cummings out...

Thanks everyone for the kind replies  :)

mudhen

He tried to talk me into going to the Ucatan to kill one of them peacocks. I'm still thinking about it. Didn't know you knew Mike. He gave me some wine years ago with a turkey on the bottle.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck