OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

.555 or .570 pure gold with fed #7 heavy weight?

Started by chrisR, April 29, 2012, 02:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisR

guys got a m2 with 24" barrel, just woundering what pure gold choke u think would be best for the federal #7 and why. im looking for the most uniform and density pattern at 40 yards i can possibly get.

joeculb

I called Indian Creek Friday for same gun. They said .555 with #6 or #7 in Hevi is tough to beat.

tiggere

I would say the .570 due to barrel length...the shorter barrels like the .555 but for a 24" barrel I would go with the .570...go look at the patterns people are shooting and read what they are using...your going to find that the .555 short barrel and .570 long barrel holds true...

sugarray

Quote from: tiggere on April 29, 2012, 04:16:38 PM
I would say the .570 due to barrel length...the shorter barrels like the .555 but for a 24" barrel I would go with the .570...go look at the patterns people are shooting and read what they are using...your going to find that the .555 short barrel and .570 long barrel holds true...

Agree 100%
:z-winnersmiley:

msgobblergetter

I am a huge PG fan, so don't get me wrong on this one.... If you are sticking with Fed HW 7's entirely,  do yourself a favor and get a SSX choke if they even make one for the M2.

yelpy

I just picked up and tryed the SSX in my Moss 500 20 with a 24" barrel and I wasn't impressed. The first shot looked good but hasn't been consistant at all. Averaging in the low 100's in the 10 at 40 shooting the Fed HW'7's. With the way mine is patterning I would have to say go with the 570.

mightyjoeyoung

I too am a serious fan of pure gold chokes but I would also recommend going with another brand/type of choke.  I would try either a Carlson's non-ported .570 or a Trulock in the same constriction, a SSX or even a jellyhead before I went with a pg with the hw loads. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

chrisR

i think i might just try a jelly head first then, wanna try some nitro mega wt to and nitro recomends the jelly head for their ammo also! :happy0064:

joeculb

Spoke with Clark at Allaboutshooting. He recommened the new Hevishot choke tube, and he has tried/sampled many different ones. I have a M2 and want to shoot #7's thru it as well and had the same questions. Guess well have to have a shoot off between the hevishot tube and a Indian Creek. Read another post on a more open pure gold tempest. If I recall correctly, the pure gold tempest has a .570. That is more in line with the HeviShot inside diameter.

savduck

Quote from: yelpy on April 30, 2012, 05:48:41 PM

I just picked up and tryed the SSX in my Moss 500 20 with a 24" barrel and I wasn't impressed. The first shot looked good but hasn't been consistant at all. Averaging in the low 100's in the 10 at 40 shooting the Fed HW'7's. With the way mine is patterning I would have to say go with the 570.

Have you kept the gun clean. That choke is super funny about cleanliness. I've got one in Winchoke and one in a Remington and they shoot the fed 7s pretty good.

I've shot the pure gold in 570 ported, 570 tempest, and 555 tempest in both Remington and the Winchoke. SSX out shot them in both guns. The 570 patterns better than the 555 in my guns. It is good for a 110 in 40 type average.
Georgia Boy

yelpy

Quote from: savduck on May 08, 2012, 12:01:44 AM
Quote from: yelpy on April 30, 2012, 05:48:41 PM

Have you kept the gun clean. That choke is super funny about cleanliness. I've got one in Winchoke and one in a Remington and they shoot the fed 7s pretty good.

I've shot the pure gold in 570 ported, 570 tempest, and 555 tempest in both Remington and the Winchoke. SSX out shot them in both guns. The 570 patterns better than the 555 in my guns. It is good for a 110 in 40 type average.

Yep,
        Tryed cleaning every shot and tryed without cleaning I got the same results either way. Going to try the carlsons.

Mattyd

I have the exact same M2 ..I went with PG 570.  Feds were like 120 at 40 yards...then shot hevi 13 in #7s and went up to 140 at 40 yards. 

savduck

My Winchoke 570 tempest shoots the Hevi 13s tighter than the feds
Georgia Boy

joeculb

Quote from: Mattyd on May 12, 2012, 05:48:10 PM
I have the exact same M2 ..I went with PG 570.  Feds were like 120 at 40 yards...then shot hevi 13 in #7s and went up to 140 at 40 yards. 
Which PG. The Tempest is suppossed to be real good with the Flightcontrol wads.