OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Did some testing yesterday...

Started by goblr77, February 27, 2011, 02:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goblr77

I finally got around to patterning my guns yesterday and had a surprise or two. To start things off I patterned my new Mossberg 500 20 gauge with a 26" barrel and IC .555. First off was Hevi-13 #7's. I got a good killing pattern, but nothing earth shattering. I then ran a Super Pheasant lead load through it and quickly found this load would be limited to 30 yds out of this combo. I'm going to get a Pure Gold .570 and compare later. Next up was an Xtrema with a 26" barrel and IC .665. I ran several loads of Hevi 2.25 oz #7's through it and got some good patterns but not quite what I was expecting from the IC choke. The POI was also low and this has never been a problem with any choke I've tried in this particular gun. I then installed an older Trulock .668 non-ported Precision Hunter. This choke consistently outperformed the much more expensive IC and the POI was dead on as usual. I attached a pic of a 20 yard pattern to show this. I'm going to send the .665 IC back and see if I can get one in the .670-.675 range. Maybe a more open choke will perform better. After the Xtrema, I patterned a Mossberg 835 with a 24" polished barrel and Star Dot choke. I shot the Hevi #7's two times and got identical results on both shots. This combo should be illegal to tote in the turkey woods. Last up was one shot from the Winchester gray box 1-7/8 oz #6's. As usual, this load put up a killing pattern at 40 from a shell that costs less than $1. Pics attached.

[attachment deleted by admin]

goblr77

Rest of pattern pics attached.

[attachment deleted by admin]

gophert

mossy835

I have some HM #7 ready to go when the rain/snow goes away. I have shot the mag blends and I am happy with the results and my first turkey found them devastating. I am anxious to try the HM #7 3 inch loads with the new Mueller holo scope to see how it patterns on my Mossy 835. Nice patterns you have there.
:newmascot:

hookedspur

Quote from: mossy835 on February 27, 2011, 02:49:56 PM
I have some HM #7 ready to go when the rain/snow goes away. I have shot the mag blends and I am happy with the results and my first turkey found them devastating. I am anxious to try the HM #7 3 inch loads with the new Mueller holo scope to see how it patterns on my Mossy 835. Nice patterns you have there.
:newmascot:
:anim_25:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

rbreedi1

Thunder Ridge Totes

Gobble!

bbcoach

I Love the 835 patterns with the Stardot and Hevi-13 7's.  320's + on both and perfectly balanced.
What do mean ILLEGAL!!!!!  IT'S PURE PERFECTION!!!!!!

ILIKEHEVI-13

That 835 and the Star Dot is stacking some shot now.   :z-paddy-smiley113:

Reloader

Nice.  Those SD patterns are great.

The Grey Box 3" 1-7/8oz loads are my go to loads for short range work.  Cheaper than loading them, and solid 40-45yd+ killers depending on the rig.

have a good one,

Reloader

woodchip

Those stardot patterns are pretty wicked! :you_rock:

Hookedonhunting

surehuntsalot

those stardot patterns are some great looking patterns
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Jbird22

Quote from: Reloader on February 27, 2011, 08:13:40 PMThe Grey Box 3" 1-7/8oz loads are my go to loads for short range work.  Cheaper than loading them, and solid 40-45yd+ killers depending on the rig.

Much love for the Win Super X's! Best round for the $ no doubt!!!

Gobblerdn1