OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

ithaca model 37 turkey load choice

Started by vancewilliams, April 28, 2012, 09:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vancewilliams

what would be a good turkey load for my ithaca model 37 with a fixed full choke barrel. if anyone knows of a good turkey load for it thanks

albrubacker

I used one last year, same set up. I pattern 2 diff. shells Fed HV #6 & Kent #5. Kent put up best pattern.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

eyedoc

Never used my Ithaca M37 for turkey, but it is my favorite, go to gun for everything else.  Love the M37 pumps.

vancewilliams

i patterned remington hevi shot #6s and it put 58 pellets in the head and neck of a turkey target at 35 yards but they are not making the shells anymore so i have to find something else and i heard the federal heavyweights #7s are a good load but havent tried them yet.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: vancewilliams on April 28, 2012, 09:45:03 PM
i patterned remington hevi shot #6s and it put 58 pellets in the head and neck of a turkey target at 35 yards but they are not making the shells anymore so i have to find something else and i heard the federal heavyweights #7s are a good load but havent tried them yet.

I still have a couple of cases of those shells and find that they do work well with some fixed choke guns like your Ithaca. I have both the 1 1/2 oz. loads and the 1 5/8 oz. loads with #6 shot and I find the 1 1/2 oz. do best.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

runngun

The federal heavy weights in the 5, 6, or 7s work great in fixed choke guns, at least they have for me. They will do the trick!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

vancewilliams

runngun what would be a good shot 5, 6, or 7s? i heard the 7s are pretty good

TWOWITHONE

Quote from: vancewilliams on April 28, 2012, 09:20:44 PM
what would be a good turkey load for my ithaca model 37 with a fixed full choke barrel. if anyone knows of a good turkey load for it thanks
[/quote
Is that the 2 3/4 or 3"

runngun

I have personally shot the federal heavyweight 5s and 7s they both patterned excellent out of fixed choked Ithaca and Savage bolt action also fixed choke. They both pack a death punch!!!

vancewilliams

runngun would the 5s or 7s be better which ones would u shoot between the 2

runngun

I like the 5s best. Will hammer birds!!!