turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which size shot would you shoot??

Started by jbrown, April 28, 2012, 09:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrown

My gun is shootin good PATTERNS with #7's(262 in the 10), #6's(215 in the 10) and mag blend(209 in the 10) all shots where at 40yds....the 20" had a smooth pattern with over 150 with all shot sizes. Which shot size would you pick for gobbler huntin??? 12ga benelli, 3.5, 2.25oz loads.

sugarray

#6.  With undersized shot in Hevi's, I want the larger #6.  Also, just like the hitting power.  I am going to work on the Winchester XRHD this summer when I get another choke or 2.  No worry with lot numbers or undersized pellets.  Numbers won't be as high, but still killing as far as I would shoot.

obro

jbrown

allaboutshooting

Quote from: jbrown on April 28, 2012, 09:13:48 PM
My gun is shootin good PATTERNS with #7's(262 in the 10), #6's(215 in the 10) and mag blend(209 in the 10) all shots where at 40yds....the 20" had a smooth pattern with over 150 with all shot sizes. Which shot size would you pick for gobbler huntin??? 12ga benelli, 3.5, 2.25oz loads.

Personally, I just choose whichever shell I had the most of or which ever shell was the most easily available. All are great numbers and you couldn't go wrong with any of them.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

goblr77

Quote from: allaboutshooting on April 28, 2012, 10:51:51 PM
Quote from: jbrown on April 28, 2012, 09:13:48 PM

Personally, I just choose whichever shell I had the most of or which ever shell was the most easily available. All are great numbers and you couldn't go wrong with any of them.

Thanks,
Clark

Agreed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Woodsman4God

I would go with the most readily available in case you are in a jam its easier to find or best price and stock up all of them are gonna bust heads

VAHUNTER

Good things come to those who wait

WyoHunter

I'd shoot the 6's but for all practical purposes any one those would work great!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

TauntoHawk

Id take 215 with the 6's all day long
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

cannonball

Shoot the 6's, you know they work now! ;D

Lucky Clucker

Any is good, but I would take the 6's if they are not traveling over 1090 fps, the HV loads hit harder and 7's are good , but slower loads go a bit bigger, I have killed alot with 6's and 7's,.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.

bird

Pure Gold .670

I've notice a HUGE difference in performance in the field on turkeys between Winchester XRHD's and H13's and I'll take the faster, harder hitting #6's of the Winchesters over the H13's any day of the year.

BrowningGuy88

Out of the ones you are shooting, I would run the Mag Blends or the 6's. I like the velocity of the Blends, but I shoot 6's cause my rig patterns them better.

Starting now, I am focusing on Win XRHD 6's in the 12 gauge and if I can turn 150 in the 10 at 40 I am going to buy a case and forget about it.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase