Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Stoeger M3500, XFT .661, HeviShot Mag Blend 3.5

Started by Todd Michael, April 26, 2012, 01:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Michael

Stoeger M3500, 28" bbl, stock XFT turkey choke (.661). Hevi Shot Magnum turkey blend (5,6,7), 12g, 3.5, 2.25.   40 yds, 54F, calm. 156 in 10", another 190 in 20". Additional 112 strayed outside the 20.

BrowningGuy88

Grunt-N-Gobble

Todd Michael

Thx, but I'm seeing a lot of posts with far more in the 10". Wondering if I could do better with a different brand choke, or with all 7's.

albrubacker

I would say that is a great hunting pattern!!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

lr308

You most likely will get higher numbers in the 10 at 40 with an SSX or the hevi-shot choke but you are going to have a real tight pattern at 25 and 30. After shooting some at the closer distances this year I am starting to favor patterns like yours. That is plenty good to 40 and has a nice spread to it.

SumToy

Keep a EYE on the stock choke.  We have seen some problems.   :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

JnL

:-*
Quote from: SumToy on April 26, 2012, 09:39:32 PM
Keep a EYE on the stock choke.  We have seen some problems.   :anim_25:

+1... Not trying to discourage you at all but I would be real careful putting hevi loads through that choke.  Mine bulged and got stuck in the barrel after a few lead rounds.  Same thing has happened to a some others.  Nice pattern though!

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Todd Michael

Thanks for the heads up on the stock choke and recommendation for the Hevi Shot choke. Too late for this hunt (we're on the road now) but will order one. Other than the XFT, any known problems with the rest of the stock chokes?

surehuntsalot

I would call that,just about a "perfect" hunting pattern
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

learn2hide

that will definitely smoke a bird but you would do better with an aftermarket tube.  Stock tubes from just about everywhere are really inconsistent and cheaply made...I guess the Benelli Crio Plus stock tubes seem to be stout but they can't hold a candle to the aftermarket tubes.  My dad was simply shooting trap with his Citori and I got him a Carlson Sporting Clay tube. The pattern difference at 30 yards was extremely noticeable between his factory chokes and the Carlson. They are just not made to last. 

You can get a heck of a choke for 45-75 dollars that will bring your flyers into the pattern...everyone is right about close shots, true of any full choke really but you have to be on the birds perfectly at 15, 20, 25 yards or you'll walk away unhappy. 

most guys on here would say look at SumToy Customs (see above),  Indian Creek.  I just recently had a really good experience with Final Strut Chokes from Rob Roberts Gunworks with great customer service.  Stuff you can buy at stores like Primos Jellyhead and Cabelas Hevi Shot tubes seem to perform well for some people also if you read the forums.

Hope your hunt went well.

:anim_25:
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

allaboutshooting

I don't see any escape from that pattern.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."