Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anodized Aluminum has no bite / What would you do?

Started by worth612000, April 25, 2012, 08:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stone road turkey calls

Quote from: Turkey Call Maker on April 26, 2012, 10:25:39 AM
First, I would start with a finer grade grit sand paper and work my way up to course, this way you can "tune" your call until is sounds better...  :turkey2: One of the true key things about turkey calling...   a real turkey would never win a calling contest. The true judge is the turkey you call in...  if you do.. you're a winner  ;D

A real turkey would never win a calling contest
Jim, that has to be the best thing i have ever read on this site
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

worth612000

Thanks Fellas for all the great advice. I had another aluminum call that came with a piece of the sanding screen but no instructions. So I assume the slick ones have to be conditioned, couldn't get a hold of the maker, after all season is in and we understand that.:agreed: I have one of Wendell and its not power coated like his, don't even think I had to clean that one yet!. I will keep it light and make the call last. After the Scotch Bright the call is sounding GOOOOD! Thanks James

bird

Give that baby some character and rough that sucker up.  Who cares what it looks like as long as it works and calls birds. Do what it takes to get that hockey puck to yackin and smackin.  If all else fails..... toss it in the fire and getcha a copper call.   :funnyturkey:

blacky

A  full line of calls.
www.genesturkeycalls.com

worth612000

Quote from: AngryBird on April 26, 2012, 07:10:23 PM
Give that baby some character and rough that sucker up.  Who cares what it looks like as long as it works and calls birds. Do what it takes to get that hockey puck to yackin and smackin.  If all else fails..... toss it in the fire and getcha a copper call.   :funnyturkey:

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: Really liked that AngryBird. I have some days like that though

MarkJM

Quote from: misfire on April 26, 2012, 02:30:35 PM
I use the green Scotchbrite on mine, but you will continue to condition the surface occasionally

This is what I do, that and 360 grit sandpaper
MuellerCustomCalls

stone road turkey calls

:icon_thumright:
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

archery1

OR GET THE BELT SANDER OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Take a kid hunting

savduck

You know, you need to decide what sound you want out of your aluminum. My first aluminum call from 20 years ago was the loudest thing out there and birds love it. When MAD put it out, that was how it was marketed.So when I play/buy aluminum thats what I'm looking for. To me, it should hurt your ears, that's what aluminum calls were built for

Im not really sure about the true history of anodized aluminum, I can only speculate that it came out because someone was worried about the shine on regular aluminum. I can tell you, that I have never run one that can hit the levels of regular aluminum. They are louder, but not the same.

So if you just want something thats louder than another surface, anodized lightly scuffed will do you. If you want ear piercing yelps and cuts that birds answer from a mile away.....you need to rough it up. and if your worried about a gobbler seeing the shine of an aluminum pot call and spooking you need to run a mouth call. Your gonna bust more turkeys from movement to run the pot than the shine. Good luck, hope you figure it out.
Georgia Boy