OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anodized Aluminum has no bite / What would you do?

Started by worth612000, April 25, 2012, 08:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

worth612000

Anodized Aluminum has no bite. Alcohol and chalk doesn't help much. Tried a dozen strikers.  Its so bad you would be crazy to chance it in the woods due to hitting a bad note. I know you shouldn't scratch them so what would you do?

savduck

Put some 60 grit sand paper on it.

Others will disagree, I've got a video in the call you tube section to back my claims up though.
Georgia Boy

Houndstooth Game Calls

I have heard Dels call and he's worn through the anodized surface and it plays like a top!!! I agree with del myself even though it's against the grain of what others might think?

cannonball

I agree with the above statements. I heard Del's call in person too, sounded great. I took some 150 grit sandpaper and went over my Halloran anodized aluminum birdseye maple pot. It really woke the call up and gave it more rasp and a better grip. I didn't completely remove the coating like on Del's call, but I did scratch it up pretty good. I would either sell the call or try the sandpaper. It doesn't sound like you are going to hunt with it the way it is, so what do you have to loose?

worth612000

Quote from: cannonball on April 25, 2012, 09:40:38 PM
I agree with the above statements. I heard Del's call in person too, sounded great. I took some 150 grit sandpaper and went over my Halloran anodized aluminum birdseye maple pot. It really woke the call up and gave it more rasp and a better grip. I didn't completely remove the coating like on Del's call, but I did scratch it up pretty good. I would either sell the call or try the sandpaper. It doesn't sound like you are going to hunt with it the way it is, so what do you have to loose?

I believe you hit the nail on the head. I can't think of any other options and can't use it as it is. I will most likely try to sand it just enough to bite. I will still check back and see what others have posted. I appreciate the inputs . 

savduck

Use a little green scotch brite first. If that works a little move up to a drywall sanding screen or the 60 grit sandpaper. You don't need to push down to hard when doing it. Just enough to rough the surface.
Georgia Boy

Gobblerstopper

Is it slick or bead blasted?  If it's slick then I'd think it would need conditioned whether it is anodized or not  ???  My anodized aluminum is colored.  The process done nothing to give the striker grip or keep it from being conditioned unless you use the bead blasted side which is basically preconditioned for a while.

If it is bead blasted and the surface is clean, I would guess it to be the striker or the call itself before the surface

Turkey Call Maker

First, I would start with a finer grade grit sand paper and work my way up to course, this way you can "tune" your call until is sounds better...  :turkey2: One of the true key things about turkey calling...   a real turkey would never win a calling contest. The true judge is the turkey you call in...  if you do.. you're a winner  ;D
Jim

worth612000

Andy, what do you recommend on your aluminum?. To answer your question this one is a slick surface anodized aluminum. I went ahead and lightly came across the surface with the grain 3 times with the green scotch brite pad. All is good now but I would forsee having to do this on occasion.

Thanks,
James

misfire

I use the green Scotchbrite on mine, but you will continue to condition the surface occasionally
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Gobblerstopper

Ive never used the slick side, but have a call that I used green scotch brite on.

Are there slick anodized calls that do not need conditioned?

Turkey Trot

One maker posted for sale a pot call that he made with unfinished aluminum.  I recall him saying that there was no need to use anondized because people scratch it off anyway no matter what they are told. 

I understand why anondized alum is used in other products like saltwater flyreels, but it makes me wonder what the point is of using it on turkey calls.  It seems that plain might make more sense, but be a little more shiny that desired.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

ctwny1

lightsoutcalls

I tried not to, but now have to weigh in on this one...

I use only powder blasted anodized aluminum in my calls.  The powder blasting gives the surface a texture that does not need conditioning.  The anodized coating keeps the aluminum from oxidizing, that dull graying effect that happens to raw aluminum.  The beauty of a powder blasted anodized aluminum surface is that it requires only an alcohol pad to clean it... no sanding, no scuffing, no regrets.  This surface in my calls has taken multiple awards at national callmaking contests.  It has contributed to more dead turkeys than I can keep track of.  Eventually the texture will wear down with use.  My personal aluminum call became slick after a few years.  I use rainchalk on the surface before a season starts and generally don't have to add more chalk for the rest of the season. The call does not miss a beat. 

Hey, if 60 grit sandpaper works on your call, fine, have at it.   I cringe just thinking about it.  I go with the idea of trying the finest abrasive and working up from there, but would at least try the rainchalk if you haven't.  It has a resin property not found in plain boxcall chalk.  I know that I am a callmaker, not an artist, but just thinking about sandpaper makes me shudder...
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

redowl

every  anodized call will wear out and need sanded imho. no matter how good. slick  aluminum sounds better anyway   imho.sand it with 150 or 100 first one direction then turn 90 degrees sand again you might be pleasently surprised.trust me.