turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Moss. 835 20" vs. 24"

Started by hawk, February 27, 2011, 11:06:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawk

Any substantial differences in patterning abilities between the two?

sugarray

Some will say yes, and that it takes more fiddling with the 20" barrel to get the right combo.

I love my 20" barrel.  I shoot TSS, 2 oz of #8 and am shooting a .710 IC choke.  My best is now 296 at 40 yds.  So, I do not feel the shorter barrel hinders me at all.  Easier to maneuver in the woods.

knightrider

i like the shorter ones my self :anim_25:

allaboutshooting

Quote from: hawk on February 27, 2011, 11:06:31 AM
Any substantial differences in patterning abilities between the two?

In my experience yes and there's a thread here that also discusses some of those differences. It normally takes a good bit more work and range time to get a 20" barrel patterning like a longer one with commercially available shotshells.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Ctomp1974

I have both and I have tested them with every combo available to me. Chokes-Indian Creek, Stardot, Jellyhead, Stock choke- Shells H13(5's & 6's) in both 3 & 3.5"versions, various winchester lead. I noticed that there is very little difference. Usually within 10-15 pellets for the 24". But sometimes the 20" does better. I use the 20" because its lighter and easier to handle in the woods.

:anim_25:
Clint

grousec

I have a 935 with 22" barrel, buddy has a longer barrel on 835.  I don't think there would be enough difference to be concerned about (especially in hunting contitions).

WildSpur

Picked up an 835 with a 20" tube last year.  I cannot compare it with the 24" on paper.  If you run and gun a lot, the 20" is a dream to carry! :smiley-char092:

Cluck more, yelp less

Skeeterbait

I would be more concerned whith what type of sights you intend to use than which one patterns best.  If you are going to use an optic it wont matter but if you plan to use barrel mounted sights I would go with the 24 for the longer sight plane.

gun for hire

I have one with the 20 inch tube, and it can be a little finicky as to which choke and ammo it seems to like.  I am currently shooting the PG 670 choke with H13 3-2-7 shells.  It cosistantly shoots 250+ at 40 yards, with the best being a 302.  Take Clark's advice and deep clean the barrel.  That has helped my patterns more than anything else.  Once you find what it likes to eat, there isn't anything I have seen that will shoot anywhere near as well.