OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What is a tube call, what does it look like, and what does it do?

Started by gobblercop, April 25, 2012, 02:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblercop

I'm new to turkey hunting, and I have no idea what a tube call looks like, does, or why I need one...............and even though I don't know if I do or do not need one.........I WANT one, but I gotta learn what they are for, and how to use it once I get it.  Ok, gobbler-gurus, educate me!

Waddle Whacker

Check out the post "Mopani Root Burl", there's one pictured there alongside a trumpet. It's basically just a hollow "tube", usually made of wood with a thin piece of latex stretched across the opening. You can make any and every sound a turkey can make on a tube call.....with practice of course. A lot of folks use them as a locater, because you can produce some really high volume calls, and i use it that way at times. But what i do is put a piece of paper towel in the tube to tone it down for soft-medium volume calling. It does take some time to master, but is well worth it. If I could carry one call, it would without a doubt be my tube caller. I blow Kenny Morgan's "Morgan" call, and have been for 15 years. His design just seems to sound the best to me. The top is an old metal snuff can inserted into a wooden tube. The metal just really gives it a nice ring that others don't have, his design is patented. It's not as pretty as tubes on here, but I would highly recommend the Morgan if you're gonna buy a tube. Heres a link, http://www.turkeycallers.com/products

Waddle Whacker

lonnie sneed jr.

You can do anything on a tube that you can do with a mouth call, some things better. There are alot of good tube calls out there and alot of tube call makers.

NCBigShot

When the Dogwood is white, the time is right...

gobblercop

So  my next question(s) is, which one is the best one in your opinion, what does it cost, and where can I get it?

woodwzrd

Quote from: lonnie sneed jr. on April 25, 2012, 04:54:26 PM
You can do anything on a tube that you can do with a mouth call, some things better. There are a lot of good tube calls out there and a lot of tube call makers.

Couldn't have said it any better.

Quote from: gobblercop on April 26, 2012, 01:22:54 PM
So  my next question(s) is, which one is the best one in your opinion, what does it cost, and where can I get it?

As far as which one is better that tends to be a matter of personal choice. Some like a smaller mouth piece and some like a larger one. Some guys like short little 2" long tubes and I have seen some as long as 4" or more. If you go into the search feature and search the Turkey call classifieds for tube calls you will find a bunch of us on here that make them.

Here is one that I did and shipped out not to long ago.

lonnie sneed jr.

I can not say which tube is the best. You guys would laugh at the one I use. I have a pice of water line put into a cowhorn. I have been looking for a nice wooden tube, just have not took enough time to look hard. Alot of good call makers. Just keep looking and you will find one you like. But if your like me you will a DOZ. you like. Good luck

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead: