North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

870 Magnum Express 23" barrel Remington Xtra Full Turkey Choke

Started by tha bugman, April 24, 2012, 10:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

Grunt-N-Gobble

First........How big are those sheets of paper and how big are those circles?

At first glance, your good @ 30yds.  40yds - no way.  You may not be drawing your 10" circle around the core of the pattern either.

Both will kill @ 30yds, but the PMC load looks better.

tha bugman

its a primos turkey target....10" circle...these shots are free handed like I would shoot in the woods...not from a bench

Grunt-N-Gobble

I would suggest that you shoot at a MUCH larger sheet of paper.  Say 24x30 or larger if possible.  I would suspect that your 10" circles are not around the core of the pattern.  Especially @ 40yds. 

Make sure you POA is the same as your POI.  Re-test and see what distance your pattern falls off.  Un-written rule is 100 hits inside the 10" at XX distance.  Limit your shots to that distance or less. 

TauntoHawk

your ready to hunt to about 35yds id say which is fine if your fine only shooting that far

You want to extend that range get a choke like a jellyhead and cabelas has Hevi shot on sale with a rebate so its not that much worse than lead. hevi 6's will do your 150's at 40yds giving a more range and fudge factor by 10yds at least
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well since you ask.  I think that .687 Rem Xtra Full choke was one of the worst turkey chokes that Rem offers.  I had one and gave it away.  That's about like how mine shot.  Your just about limited to 35yds with lead.  And that can still be iffy.  

The Rem .655 Ventilator choke will make that choke look like shredded cheese.  Your patterns will easily take you to the 40yd mark with even lead  from what reloader has told me.  I myself use it for Hevi-13 loads and haven't shot any lead through mine.  The Hevi-13 patterns are excellent at 40yds.