OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SNOW !!!!

Started by 870BkWht, April 21, 2012, 10:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

So here in North Central, WV they are calling for up to 6'' of snow and I cant even begin to tell you how bummed out I am about it.  I honestly do not know how to spring turkey hunt in the snow.  I can deal with a late October/November snowfall and still be at home, but I am totally clueless about what kind of a game plan to formulate for opening day.  I know the birds might stay in the tree for a while or atleast later in the day, but after that, I need help.  Anyone have any suggestions for me?  Im gonna give it the ol' college try, I figure Im on vacation, I might as well hunt.

Spring_Woods

Interesting, I've always wondered what it's like to turkey hunt in the snow.

If I had to guess its going to be really open and visibility will be high so id go earlier than usual. If its windy i might elect to take a box call. Maybe they'll come down in periods of light snowfall? I'd guess they'll be more interested in eating rather than breeding. An open field with a hen decoy would be my first plan of attack, I think?

Oh yeah, and snow camo!
Good luck
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

bbcoach

Good Luck to the Elkin, WVA, Pittsburgh and Johnstown PA and Buffalo NY area.  If this area gets the heavy wet snow they are predicting (up to 18" in some areas) and the leaves are already on the trees, they're going to be numerous power outages due to down tree limbs.  I don't have any advice for hunting in the snow but I'd love to give it a try.

jakebird

Well, you have a unique opportunity! Id come up with some snow camo in a hurry and atleast you will be able to tack them in the fresh snow. Gobbler tracks and strutting drag marks will be clearly obvious. Ive read stories of killing birds in snowstorms and i have a video with rob keck and eddie salter hunting merriams in s.dakota in fresh snow. Birds still gobbled and came to the call. Good luck!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?