OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Another Lead Bird

Started by albrubacker, April 21, 2012, 09:44:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

albrubacker

I had a heck of a morning on 4/17. Got up nice and early, getting the gun out of the case I realize I didn't put my turkey choke in from cleaning the evening before. So back to the house (5 min drive). Alright back to the woods get setup on a tax ditch with timber on both sides. Build a natural blind quickly, nothing fancy.
At 6:30 a hen came out on the ditch 200 yrd away, so I called to her she turn and went the other way.
At 6:50 I heard a gobble, 150 yrd down on the ditch he stood full strut. I called a few times he turns and walks towards me on the opposite side of the ditch. Strutted almost the whole way to me. At 35 yrd I squeeze the trigger nothing!! I realize I did't cock the gun!! So I try to quietly slide the pump on a Benelli SN, I used my mouth call to cover some of the sound and got the gun loaded.
He came across the ditch and is now at 25 yrd. BOOM! Dead bird!
18lb 4oz 10"-1"-1 1/4"  Win HV 3 1/2" 5 shot
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

fsu33952

Very nice! Don't feel bad. Anybody that has hunted for any length of time has forgotten to load their gun. I have been fortunate enough to never actually pull the trigger on a turkey with an empty gun, but I have gotten back to the truck and realized that I never loaded it in the first place. I have actually gotten to the woods and realized that I left my gun at home. Get to talking and carrying hunting junk tot he truck and just plain forgot. Freaked me out for a minute because I thought I had driven off with it on the roof. Good thing I had not went out of state to hunt. Great story.

dpittman

Believe it or not I have actually forgotten my shotgun.

surehuntsalot

never have forgotten my shotgun,but now shells are a different story

congrats on the bird
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

deadbuck

That is why 2 shotguns ride in my truck for 6 weeks continually in the spring under the back seat.

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott