OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shotgun Problems

Started by duckaholic25, February 26, 2011, 08:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duckaholic25

I took my Mossberg 835 out to pattern it with a jelly head and hevi #6 3.5 in. Pattern shot low and to the left, thought it might have been me so 2 shots later same deal. Is there any thing I can do or am i just gonna have to break down and get  some kind of scope, if so what is the best out there. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

knightrider

mueller holosight, or tru glo magnum gobble dot, or williams fire sight :you_rock:

VAHUNTER

the fiber optics that come on Mossbergs are not much
Good things come to those who wait

southernfly

X2 for Mueller. Hated the idea of any scope on my gun until i tried it...now have them on 2 of my turkey guns and the third is gettin it soon. battery lasts forever in mine

BigHooks

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: duckaholic25 on February 26, 2011, 08:20:40 PM
I took my Mossberg 835 out to pattern it with a jelly head and hevi #6 3.5 in. Pattern shot low and to the left, thought it might have been me so 2 shots later same deal. Is there any thing I can do or am i just gonna have to break down and get  some kind of scope, if so what is the best out there. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mine does the same thing.  But it still will kill any gobbler that walks at 50yds very easily with the open bead.

hookedspur

just a matter of putting a set of sights on it'
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

hunter177

I had the exact same problem with my the 835 I use to have, low & left. I took off the factory sights and put on TruGlo Gobble Dot Extreme. They attach with thin, double sided tape that comes with it but it's sturdy and accurate. It's not adjustable but the pattern was centered in the middle of the target.
TriStar Viper G2 12 ga.
26" barrel, black synthetic stock
TruGlo Gobble Stopper Extreme .665 choke
Winchester DoubleX, 3", 1125 fps., 2 oz. #5 shot

allaboutshooting

Quote from: duckaholic25 on February 26, 2011, 08:20:40 PM

You will probably needs some sights and if you do, I'd recommend the Truglo "Pro Series" for your gun. They are fully adjustable, very tough and hold their zero.

You might try a couple of things first however. First, I'd fully remove your turkey choke, clean the threads while it's out and then reinstall it, back it out a couple of turns and then tighten. See if your pattern is still low left.

If you're still shooting low left, I'd try some 3" shells with #6 shot. I recommend the "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot or if lead, the 3" or 3.5" Winchester HV (Black Shells) with #6 lead shot.

Lastly, for many right hand shooters, a low left shot means that we're anticipating the shot and pulling it low and left to compensate for the recoil. You can help that at the bench with some ear plugs, some good muffs and a good recoil pad. Noise and recoil both will cause us to anticipate a shot and pull it off.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. I'd also recommend that you "deep clean" the bore.
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

STRUTTIN D

I USED A BSA RED DOT FROM WAL-MART FOR YEARS.  IT COSTED 30 BUCKS
AND OUT PREFORMED ALL THE NAME BRAND HYPED UP ONES. :z-winnersmiley:
WHEN I START CALLIN/THEY START FALLIN

schuylkillspur

You can have the barrel bent if you want to stick with the beads.
You hav nothing w/o FAITH

mossy835

I have noticed on mine that it is easy to cant the gun to the left with out realizing it. I had a trap shooter watch me and he caught it. I am now more careful to get it on my shoulder better. I have the Mueller holo sight installed and with the cross bars you can see if your level or canted. Like Clark said right hand can give a low left POI. Just what I learned the hard way.

bbcoach

I have an 835 also and the Mossy sights that come with the gun aren't the greatest.  I opted for a Bushnell Red Dot and haven't looked back since.  Williams Fire Sights are Great if you want to stay with Fiber Optics.

duckaholic25

Thanks everyone for the tips. I just ordered the truglow gobble dot pro series. I think it will help, but I am gonna shoot next time with ear muffs and a shoulder pad. Listening to everyone I think I prolly was antisipating the shot and pulled off.  :thanks:

bbcoach

Duck,
I recommend you put a Limbsaver Recoil Pad on your 835 and you won't feel a thing.  I put one on my 835 and it tamed it down tremendously.