News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 express Hevi 3-2-6's and sumtoy

Started by TauntoHawk, April 18, 2012, 01:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

Hey guys,

Sorry I don't have better pictures of all my shots or a real 10in circle but it was an afterthought that I should post some pics online.
Set-up:
I'm shooting an 870 express 21" newly polished barrel
Hevishot 3-2-6's (don't try and convince me to use the 7's won't work I got 6 boxes of the 6's for $97 shipped and that's what I'm going with not buying any more ammo this year)
Chokes: Sumtoy 0.658 and jeallyhead 0.665
Laser ranged 40yds

Took 4 shots 2 with each choke tube, the pictures are both of the 4th shot with the sumtoy. 10in circle is a rough drawn circle estimate as you can see.
1st sumtoy 159
2nd jellyhead 169
3rd jellyhead 148
4th Pictured is sumtoy of 159

Results: hoped for a little higher numbers after seeming some other hevi-6 patterns here but I'm not a target shooter looking for record numbers. I got dead turkey numbers and an even 20. The jellyhead did get a few more pellets in but wasn't as even in the 10in and not near as good at 20. I liked the sumtoys consistency and more even pattern but maybe need to open it up a little bit more. The jellyhead got put to use as well and got fitted for my back up gun that gets borrowed a lot and pattern looked good (didn't count) and was only about 2in high of POA.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

captin_hook

Those patterns look good. I like that shell. Throws good #s.

TauntoHawk

I feel pretty good about the eveness across the 20in...

Im not looking for a 60yd gun plus I have youth hunters, and vets that will be using my gun so I dont want too tight a pattern that could lead to misses at close ranges
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

HuntSource

That's a nice average (i.e., 160) for that load. When the air is really thin in summer, I'd be willing to bet you might get 175 or so. Still, you should still be getting at least 100 at 50yd, which is a pretty big fudge factor.

SumToy

Ok this may help some.  Try to get any oil out of the barrel.  Then run a few junk shells out the barrel and try it.   Now I have seen the the 3 inch 6 has been going low this year in alot of gun and chokes  ???.  I think this is what the guys last year was have problems with the 7's.  It just showed up last year with the 7 faster because more folks that post shoots them. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

TauntoHawk

I ran some lead through it to get the fast fire sighted in the week before and thought I had it pretty clean to start. I gave it a real good cleaning when I was done

Like I said I'm not really looking to be a numbers guys running a case of Hevi at paper. I got a clean, even kill pattern extending past the 10 and solid shot to shot consistancy. Hopefully my youth hunter has a dead bird that agrees after this weekend

thanks, William