OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

...Dressing Tattered Tail Feathers...

Started by NCBigShot, April 17, 2012, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCBigShot

..I'm doing a fan mount of my son's first turkey. Unfortunately this bird's tail feathers look like they went through the spin cycle in a Maytag. How do you guys fix curled, separated and frayed tail feathers to make them look good?
Any and all help is appreciated!
:thanks:
When the Dogwood is white, the time is right...

GobbleNut

You can also try washing them in a mild dishsoap (Dawn), rinsing until thoroughly clean, and then using a regular old blow-dryer to dry them out.  Then use your fingers to gently straighten the feathers and position them.

NCBigShot

...Very helpful suggestions guys, thanks. :icon_thumright:

blackmagic

I'm glad you asked this, because I'm in the same dilemma.  I also bought a couple of single displays from custombarnwoodplaques.com and they are awesome.  Of course, a sweet cane yelper somebody made will be hanging below one of them :you_rock:

duxrus

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 24, 2012, 08:46:24 AM
You can also try washing them in a mild dishsoap (Dawn), rinsing until thoroughly clean, and then using a regular old blow-dryer to dry them out.  Then use your fingers to gently straighten the feathers and position them.

I agree.....a quick wash and dry. They will "fluff" back up nicely but make sure to rinse a few times to get the soap off.

NCBigShot

Quote from: blackmagic on April 25, 2012, 06:25:29 PM
Of course, a sweet cane yelper somebody made will be hanging below one of them :you_rock:

..Rey--
I'm still delighted to hear about your success... I added one to the list as well this spring. Guess I'm doing something right! :smiley-char092:

blackmagic

Sweet!  Sorry I was the #1 killer with one of your calls....NOT! :toothy9:  Just kidding, that's at least 3 birds that have been killed with one.