OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1 Oz. TSS #9 20 gauge load

Started by gobblergls, April 17, 2012, 01:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblergls

Impressed with a buddy's results with a .410 and TSS9s, I used an old 20 gauge 1 oz. kit from TSS designed for 7s and substituted 9s and roll crimped.  The old TSS load utilized two wads:  The inner being a 28 gauge wad inserted into the 20 gauge wad.  Below is the pattern at 40 yards.  However the outer wad was pretty much shredded to heck and back.  The inner wad remained hole free and intact.  I loaded to spec and out of another 20 gauge, the wad was not shredded.  Anyhow, the pattern was pretty good despite the wad issue.  150 in the 10" and 150 in the 20'.  The Mossy SB with a multiported PG .570 shredded the wad.  The Ithaca 37 20 with a Hevi-13, minimal porting, didn't shred the wad.  Any idea what happened with the outer wad?

sugarray

How the chokes grab it.

But, does it really matter?  Good patterns and dead turkeys, that is what matters!!

gobblergls

I was concerned that it might have happened inside the barrel, but the sabot cup (28 gauge wad) would have been punctured as well.  This has not happened with other wads pushing mylar wrapped 1 5/8 oz of TSS9s.  I was concerned that the gas seal had been blown inside the barrel, but I can see how the ports of the PG could have grabbed it, but as stated, I've never had it happen before.  This would be a good load for a youth to shoot and I may use it as well.  There's plenty of holes in the 10' ring.

Sand Man

Interesting, but I was just discussing this with a buddy the other day about trying that load data for 1oz TSS 9 load.  I thought it would be a great youth load as well.

Glad to see they pattern well.  I might have to load some up.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

msgobblergetter

Makes me wonder if the extra wad adds excessive pressure.  Worth considering for sure.

gobblergls

Assuming I loaded properly and adhered to the published recipe provided by the former Tungsten Super Shot Company, the load as designed is within safe pressures. I weighed the powder and shot on a digital scale calibrated before use.  The loads and kits were available commercially a few years ago until the business closed:  Here's link to the FAQ page from the wayback machine, April of 2010:
http://web.archive.org/web/20100207022611/http://www.tungstensupershot.com/pages/faq.asp

sugarray

Quote from: gobblergls on April 17, 2012, 03:29:27 PM
I was concerned that it might have happened inside the barrel, but the sabot cup (28 gauge wad) would have been punctured as well.  This has not happened with other wads pushing mylar wrapped 1 5/8 oz of TSS9s.  I was concerned that the gas seal had been blown inside the barrel, but I can see how the ports of the PG could have grabbed it, but as stated, I've never had it happen before.  This would be a good load for a youth to shoot and I may use it as well.  There's plenty of holes in the 10' ring.

I think the outer wad would be chewed up too if it occurred in the barrel.  I think you are safe and I wouldn't worry about my gun.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

yelpy

That wad looks like one that I found shot out of a Williams Precision ported choke. The porting holes are bigger diameter holes than any others that I have shot. You should be carefull because after finding that wad I shot another one through the same choke and a big chunk of the wad got ripped off and stuck in the choke.

deerslayer357

Good looking pattern!

Should make shells a little cheaper too!