OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

MadMax choke

Started by mikejd, April 15, 2012, 10:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikejd

I have an original mad max choke,The one Mark Drury sponsored. I havent used it in a while and was just wondering if its safe for hevi shot. the original package said lead only.

Philippe

Lead only means lead only! You can try it, but the results may not be so great.

mikejd

I do realize that. However when they were made there was no hevi shot and lead only was so.nobody put steel shot through it. I have other chokes that say lead only so I called the manufactorer and they said hevi was fine.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: mikejd on April 16, 2012, 08:07:37 AM
I do realize that. However when they were made there was no hevi shot and lead only was so.nobody put steel shot through it. I have other chokes that say lead only so I called the manufactorer and they said hevi was fine.

Show me a picture of the choke and I'll tell you my thoughts. 

Well actually my thoughts are that you should be fine.  And I agree with your statement. 

Philippe

Quote from: mikejd on April 16, 2012, 08:07:37 AM

By all means, try it, it wouldnt hurt to actuall call them and see what is safe and what isnt.

mikejd

I would have called them but I'm not 100% sure who made it. It may be flambeau but I'm not sure. I tracked down the number for flambeu so I'm going to give a call and see what they say.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: mikejd on April 16, 2012, 12:28:15 PM
I would have called them but I'm not 100% sure who made it. It may be flambeau but I'm not sure. I tracked down the number for flambeu so I'm going to give a call and see what they say.

Mike,

If it is the MAD Max choke I think it is and like the one I have, it I am pretty sure was made by Indian Creek.  I have called Flambeau who took over the MAD products.  But I called them years ago about another choke that they I believe took over as well which was Lohman.  But I am almost certain that the lady told me that both the Lohman Long Shot and MAD Max chokes were safe to shoot hevi-shot through.

allaboutshooting

I think those chokes were made in various shops at different times. Some of the earlier ones were rated for lead only and some of the later ones were Hevi-Shot rated.

The problem now would be finding out which shop made what and I'm not certain that would be possible since many looked the same.

The "Lead Only" markings are interesting, to say the least. Many were marked that way to keep folks from shooting steel waterfowl loads with large shot like BB or T through them. After 2000 or so, many were marked that way because they were not made of hardened steel.

Many of us have seen the results of a choke tube "failure" of some type. A choke may have cracked, split, swollen or in some other way had damage. When I visit gun shops I see those quite often. Most times there is no damage to the gun but that's not always the case.

My general rule is that if the manufacturer has marked his choke, that he knows more about than any of us can, as "Lead Only", that's all I'll shoot through it.

When a company has gone out of business or changed hands and there is no way to track who manufactured it or how it was made, it's just a good idea to err on the side of caution.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's the choke that Mark Drury endorsed.  I am almost positive that Stuart told me in person that Indian Creek made this choke for MAD.  I am also pretty sure that Flambeau told me that choke was one of the ones that was safe to shoot Hevi-Shot through.  I can tell you that choke is as thick as any choke I have owned.  It's built like a tank.  

I myself have no problems whatsoever shooting Hevi-13 loads through it.  I haven't shot but a couple of shots through it, but I think that choke personally is as strong as any ported choke on the market.  Mine does say lead only as well.  But again these chokes were made prior to the Hevi-Shot craze.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

And when I say thick you will see what I mean below. 

spur collector

What constriction is your mad max hevi, mine is a .655 rem choke.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: spur collector on April 16, 2012, 08:34:23 PM
What constriction is your mad max hevi, mine is a .655 rem choke.

The one I have for  my Moss 835 is model #1007 which is .680  They also made another one for the 835 that was another model # not sure that was .690. 

They made these for Rem that was .665 I am pretty certain and .655 for Browning/Win/Moss Invector threads.  Not sure about the Benelli and Beretta ones. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Model #1006 was .690 for the Moss 835.

They also made a .670 for the Browning Invector Plus And Win SX2 which was model #1009 and model #1008 was .680.  

1003 was .655 for Rem

1001 was .655 for Win/Browning/Moss Invector threads.

1005 was .650 for Beretta and Beneilli.

So I was wrong on the Rem.  But they may have made another model that was .665 since they made 2 for the Browning Invector Plus guns and Moss 835's. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's another post confirming what I said about Indian Creek making these MAD Max chokes.

http://forum.averyoutdoors.com/showthread.php?t=78520

mikejd

Hevi, you got it thats the one I have. Mine is for a Remchoke and the number is MD-1002. And yes it might be the heaviest choke I own. Looks like a piece of pipe.