OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 835, IC .720, TSS 2 oz #8

Started by sugarray, April 15, 2012, 07:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugarray

el diablo let me borrow this choke and first impression is it is great.  Patterns are more round and even.  The huge variability is puzzling.  Beginning to think it is the IC choke.

Give me your thoughts!

shot #1, FIRST EVER 300!

Shot #2, like this pattern a lot

wvnut3

Grunt-N-Gobble

It could be the IC choke.  I had a big swing in #'s using my IC with duplex hand loads with HW7's and Hevishot.

When I switched chokes, consecutive shot #'s where much closer together.

I will say that my IC does good with straight Hevi but not in the HW.

sugarray

I don't think so.  I am meticulous about my components, weights, pressure.  I am only comparing each day to itself.  I think comparing day to day is tougher.

Not sure, any opinions appreciated.

yelpy

There is no dought in my mind that it is the choke. I have one for my 535 and for my SBEII and both chokes do the same thing you got there. Inconsistant from one shot to the next with everything I shot through them so far. Not to sure why.

eight bore

So how about clean verse's dirty barrel and choke ?
There is no Left or Right -- there is only freedom or tyranny. Everything else is an illusion, an obfuscation to keep you confused and silent as the world burns around you." - Philip Brennan

sugarray

Quote from: eight bore on April 15, 2012, 09:41:25 PM
So how about clean verse's dirty barrel and choke ?

All of my shots are through a "dirty" barrel.  I shoot at least one fouling shot and then clean with bore snake 2-3 times and brush out the ports with a tooth brush.  I just can't see 60 pellets difference today and from 214-295 last session.

yelpy

Quote from: el diablo on April 15, 2012, 10:35:26 PM
I just don't see what a choke could do differently from one shot to the next.  It does make sense that 520 round pellets flying through the air like knuckle balls going 1,100 fps could make a little different pattern in relation to a 10" circle.  That's why I am more concerned with the 20" numbers.
I could be wrong, it just doesn't make sense to me. 

I wish that I could see in slow motion what goes on inside the choke.

yelpy

Quote from: el diablo on April 15, 2012, 11:07:16 PM
Quote from: yelpy on April 15, 2012, 11:02:02 PM
Quote from: el diablo on April 15, 2012, 10:35:26 PM
I just don't see what a choke could do differently from one shot to the next.  It does make sense that 520 round pellets flying through the air like knuckle balls going 1,100 fps could make a little different pattern in relation to a 10" circle.  That's why I am more concerned with the 20" numbers.
I could be wrong, it just doesn't make sense to me. 

I wish that I could see in slow motion what goes on inside the choke.
Need those high speed cameras they have on Top Shot.  That would be interesting.

It sure would!  I would love to see it.

sugarray

Quote from:  link=topic=23782.msg258307#msg258307 date=1334579202
I wonder how much difference a brand new choke vs one that is broken in a little bit makes.  I often think it does make a difference.  

That 214-295 difference is through my choke that will be on its 3rd year this year.  It has quite a few rounds through it.

eight bore

That second pattern i think would pick up a higher count if you dropped the ten inch circle
There is no Left or Right -- there is only freedom or tyranny. Everything else is an illusion, an obfuscation to keep you confused and silent as the world burns around you." - Philip Brennan

MSwickard

Quote from: sugarray on April 15, 2012, 07:38:39 PM
The huge variability is puzzling.  Beginning to think it is the IC choke.

Give me your thoughts!

Sugarray,

Nice patterns!  However, I believe it is just semantics. You are getting 95% of the payload in target #1 and 93.8% in target #2 within the 20" circle.  I wouldn't fret over 1.2% of the pellets.  We are only talking like 6 or 7 pellets.

Both patterns will be bad for Mr. Tom Turkey.

sugarray

Quote from: MSwickard on April 16, 2012, 06:33:57 PM
Quote from: sugarray on April 15, 2012, 07:38:39 PM
The huge variability is puzzling.  Beginning to think it is the IC choke.

Give me your thoughts!

Sugarray,

Nice patterns!  However, I believe it is just semantics. You are getting 95% of the payload in target #1 and 93.8% in target #2 within the 20" circle.  I wouldn't fret over 1.2% of the pellets.  We are only talking like 6 or 7 pellets.

Both patterns will be bad for Mr. Tom Turkey.

Very well put.  Thanks for keeping me grounded in turkey hunting and not numbers on patterns!

:icon_thumright:

joker

With my Browning gold and pg .670  shooting hals 2 oz tss 9 load it ranged from 300-400 in 10" and 600-650 total in 20". That was on different days, no wind, 70-60deg.

ILIKEHEVI-13