OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

10 gauge king of lead?

Started by LBSS, April 13, 2012, 07:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBSS

I think so and with current htl prices going higher and higher.  A 10ga with lead looks like to good investment . I used to get 160 hits in a 10"@40. With 2 1/4 oz win #6loads out of a full choke h&r.
And 360 hits at 20yards. With hv win loads the big ten #5 can get around 200 hits from what I've seen. I never pattern rem 2 1/4 oz load of 4s . Just seems like a 10ga compared to a 12ga with lead. The 10 will win everytime . As I always say the best way to make a shotgun more effective is to make it bigger . Also to me the 10ga is addictive to shoot.
compared to my ithacagun 37 featherlight 16ga . Id take a 10ga anyway no bs it kicks less well felt recoil wise

paladin

The ten is the king but I am unsure if it is "worth the weight"  (PUN).
"have gun-will travel"

LBSS

You buy a proper sling and the weight is non existing.
A 11lb gun with a good sling maybe like a limbsaver I seen or a neoprene cushioned one
will carry better than a 6lb gun on a nylon sling.  To me 3lb difference isn't enough to mention you just got to be used to your weapon. I would handle my bps10 every day and got very comfortable with it. I could see maybe white collar people who aren't use to carry equipment.  But im a roofer and im young (19) our shingles are Miami dade approved so their heaveir . About 80lbs a bundle
so I never had a problem with the 10gauge weight. But I know older people with say arthritis or had broken bones in the past or similar physic trauma hurt a lot when they get older or can't carry to much and what not and I understand that.  Then again worst kicking gun I ever had was a 16ga haha. I hope to gandload for the 10ga some day.  I want a 2 1/4 oz load at 1300fps
:turkey2:

runngun

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

LBSS

Plan on trying some 3oz Nitro loads if I buy me another one by next week
I sell guns alot but I can't be with a 10ga. When you get in thick woods the 10ga still rips through brush and gets my target.  Heavy loads + heavy gun =good times.  Plus I like that deep boom the 10gagood has not the high pitch bang! Of a 12

runngun

You won't regret the 3oz NITRO'S
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

LBSS

Well I was told yesterday most likely I won't be able to get any till next year.
But I will probably just end up trying to get a 250rd case from sporting ammo

tomno3

LBSS is spot on. I carry a 10 in one form or another fowling on a public area. The walk in is about a mile. With a real good sling, it is a little heavy but you get used to it. Went to shoot sporting clays last weekend with my O/U 12 and I thought I was carrying a sub-gauge. LOL!

TNsavageman

What kind of ammo are you talking about ordering from sporting ammo? I haven't heard of them before. How long is the wait time on an order? I went to their website and didn't see alot of information regarding different loads or pricing.
Thanks

LBSS

From my understanding sporting ammo makes 10rd and 25rd box turkey shells.
From i price list i got from last year i think its 28-30$ per 25rd box
His prices are reasonable.  Their website is outdated though. But i talked to duck hunters who love their 1600fps 1.5 oz steel loads. I dont plan on picking my bps10 up for awhile though. Atleast 2 more months. Also heres anither observation.

The wood stocl bps10 is bulky no doubt there . But the stalker i held forearm was slender perhaos more than some 12ga! So to me it shoulders like a 12 in synthetic form.

Personally id like a ithacagun m37 10ga but i got a smarta$$ reply back from ithaca. Then again there not genuine ithacas either.  Got my 2012 browning catalog today. Glad to see they didnt discontinue any of there 10s. It says nothing hits harder than a 10ga on big birds or something along those lines.

Another thing the 3oz lead loads from what ive read pattern like 2oz hevishot loads

4nolz2

hey LBSS-I have a box of 101Ls-our season ends saturday then I head to MO then IA but how many do you need to get thru season? I might be able to send you a handful (I have 20 or so) of loaners? if so I need to know tonight or I wouldnt have time to send them to you until I get back. :z-guntootsmiley:

4nolz2

sent,PM me when they get there. :turkey2:

LBSS

Ok thanks man.

Thinking about a kicks choke