OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Polishing my barrel (with Pictures)

Started by pullit, February 07, 2011, 08:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullit

Sense it has been some time sense I posted this and the fact that everything is gone, I thought I would post it again.

I start out with a brass brush for the gauge your poslishing (in my case this was a 12 ga). I then wrap a large patch around it and apply JB bore paste to it.

Next I apply some Kroil to the patch with the JB bore paste on it.

I clamp my barrel in a padded vise. I then clamp a home made bore guide to the barrel shank. I put an old choke in the barrel ( I think it was an improved cylinder in this case but it does not matter). I mark my cleaning rod so that the brush does not come out the muzzle end of the barrel.

Next I chuck up a cordless drill with a fresh battery and start polishing. I move the drill up and down the barrel and do not let it stay in one place .  I change the patches as needed.

When I have run the charge out of that battery , I switch batterys and clean the barrel out with clean patches and a little Shooters Choice. This is to make sure all the JB is cleaned out of the barrel. The barrel should look like a mirror on the inside when your done.

Hope this helps
John

Call1in

Nice. THanks. Looks like we are going to need alot of "Re-Posting" .....Nice Job.

jbrown

schief

so you polish chamber too. i saw on another post on here where he said not to polish chamber. your thoughts on this.

pullit

I do not polish the chamber but I do polish the forcing comb.
Guess I should have added that note.
Thanks

VAHUNTER

Good things come to those who wait

Reloader

Sweet post pullit, been a few years since I've seen it. The mods oughta make it a sticky.

Still have the bushing you made me.  A empty hull makes a dandy chamber protector as well.

Have a good one,

Reloader

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Tamid

I use double or triple stainless steel wool wrapped around a dowel, doused in a cleaner and chucked.  Clean up with patches.  Don't worry about chamber wear.  There is an article in a 1990's Shotgun Digest where the author tested this method for hours on his barrels and could determine no wear.

RustySap

Mailman

One Shot One Kill

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

Gobble!

joshua

Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

12 GAUGE

what kind of cleaning rod are you useing
ROLL TIDE