OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Penetration test with 7's

Started by BBD, April 07, 2012, 10:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBD

I know alot of people are gettin' incredible 10/40 numbers with the Hevi 7's and the FHW 7's but has anyone done a penetration test with them. Like a "tin" @ 40 test ? Last year I decided to use a piece of tin to pattern on. I'm not talkin' about this new cheap China made stuff I'm talkin' dragged out from behind the old buggy barn tin. I shot it with a 3.5" Win ER 6 at 40 yards and MAYBE 20 pellets passed through the tin.  I shot it with a Hevi 6, this time maybe 50 passed through. I was pretty disappointed to say the least. I think got out an old Win HV 4 and shot it. Looked like you had emptied 300 .22 rounds through it, not just pass through but blown out holes. I know it doesn't sound scientific but there is no doubt it proves there would be a lack of penetration with the ER and the Hevi.  Has anyone done any penetration testing with the 7's ?

mightyjoeyoung

So what you're saying is that you got better penetration with...lead than you did with htl shot??!!  Sorry, but that is just impossible.  Lead will smash out and flatten, spending much of its energy expanding on the tin.  The htl shot, size for size and velocity for velocity will out penetrate lead all day...every day. Period.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

BBD

Okay so I lied...for no reason.  The lead 4's out penetrated the Hevi and ER 6's plain and simple. Have you done a penetration test with the Hevi 6's verse the HV lead 4's? Maybe you should. I'm stating facts off what I saw not what I read on the box of shells...

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: el diablo on April 07, 2012, 11:43:51 PM
This test doesn't support your findings. http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,11702.msg133779.html#msg133779 I also believe this is posted in the wrong section.

Yup!...that about covers it.  And yes, the op is in the wrong forum.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

wvnut3

nyhunter

guess i wont use them when i go hunting tin.