Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

How early is too early for locator calls

Started by opster246, April 07, 2012, 08:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hootowl

In my 3 years I have never had to use a Locator Call, I start my walk back to the rear of the woods and I hear them Gobbling there Heads off. So I dont even own a Locator Call. But as Iam hunting I notice that Crows fly over and Call and the Toms Get fired up and gobble at about everytime they Crow.

Hootowl

fsu33952

Quote from: Hootowl on April 27, 2012, 06:56:39 PM
In my 3 years I have never had to use a Locator Call, I start my walk back to the rear of the woods and I hear them Gobbling there Heads off. So I dont even own a Locator Call. But as Iam hunting I notice that Crows fly over and Call and the Toms Get fired up and gobble at about everytime they Crow.

Hootowl

Being able to count on a turkey to gobble is very uncommon in lots of places. I have heard turkeys gobble everywhere before and then go back then go for a week before I hear another one. Just like this morning. Last weekend turkeys were gobbling all over and then today was the prettiest day all season and didn't hear anything. The turkeys are there. There are tracks, poop and strut marks all over but not a sound. Crows making all kinds of noise but nothing.

milertyme03

I have never had much luck with crow locators until this year.  The first two days here in NY they are tearing it up everytime I use it!  I had some birds in a really tough spot to set up on today and I probably hit it ten times and every time they would gobble their heads off.  I think the key to having one shock gobble is that they have to be in the mood and you need to be somewhat close.  All birds I have had respond are within 200 yards.

fsu33952

I only want them to gobble enough for me to get set up on him. You let him gobbler to much and that means someone else might hear him too. It sucks to get set up and then hear someone else calling the turkey too.