OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Transporting a bird back home

Started by Beard Buster, April 05, 2012, 10:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beard Buster

I am heading out to Nebraska at the end of April to hunt some merriams.  If I get one, it would be my first, and if it is a decent one, I plan to get it mounted.  Problem is, I am going to be out there for 4 days, and on top of that, I have to travel back to northern Wisconsin to my taxidemist.  I plan on bringing a cooler and packing it in ice.  Should I field dress this bird?  Does packing it in ice sound like a good plan?

TRKYHTR

I would take it somewhere and have them freeze it. Somebody will know where to take it, like the local grocery store or meat packing place. Once it's froze then put it in your ice chest for the ride home. Do not field dress it keep it whole and freeze it whole. Take it to your taxi man as soon as possible.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

NYGobblergetter

You could attempt to cape it yourself. I beleive there is an instructional on there. The cape takes up a lot less space and can be easily put into a freeze. caping is quite easy if done shortly after the bird is hot and still warm.

jk6140

Get a good cooler and put inside a large pair of panty hoes.  Once its in the hoes put a garbage bag down and let the bird lay on it making sure it doesnt move or get wet.  This should get it home for you.  We brought my dads Rio home from KS to PA like this and it worked well.  He took it to the taxi the next day.  Good luck.

NC-struts

Definitely some good information!  I appreciate it as well.

HunterMan

slicksbeagles1

do not put in panty hose they can damage feathers and if hose  get soaked with blood it is hard to get hose off without damage

duxrus

Quote from: slicksbeagles1 on May 02, 2012, 02:26:06 PM
do not put in panty hose they can damage feathers and if hose  get soaked with blood it is hard to get hose off without damage

X 100.....

I know you have already done what you decided to do but for anyone else reading this in the future....

PANTY HOSE are a waste of time and a royal pain for a taxidermist to get off to inspect your bird until thawed out. Some yahoo started that trend way back when (apparently wasn't a taxidermist).....Panty hose don't protect it from freezer burn or protect the feathers. If they don't lay exactly correct as you slide them on you will bend the crap out of the feathers with potentially damaging them. A PLASTIC bag is all you need....plastic can not damage it and does protect against isuues such as freezer burn and keeping it dry.

Like already said the best route is to freeze it whole. Once frozen solid it will take three days to thaw at room temp so if in a cooler for a day or two you will be good to go. I just brought one back from NE myself via plane. I froze it in a garbbage bag before leaving and it sat in the rental car for a day before flying out. When I took the bird out of my bag once home it was still solid as a rock......and I didn't even have to carry women's wear with me.  :goofball: