OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

When will 50 become the new 40?????

Started by chatterbox, February 25, 2011, 12:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble!

Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 28, 2011, 10:49:06 AM
Quote from:  link=topic=2296.msg31229#msg31229 date=1298901275
Quote from: poorcountrypreacher on February 27, 2011, 08:49:43 AMNow what would REALLY be different would be if I decided to sit in a blind and watch a decoy 20 yards away, and then boast about how I wouldn't dream of shooting a turkey at 50 yards. :)

Decoys have done more to change the face of turkey hunting than any shotgun, choke or shell could ever hope to.   They totally change the way the game is played, and the way our worthy opponent acts. 

That is 100% spot on

Absolutely

WyoHunter

With the loads, chokes and sight options that we have today 50 yards is reasonable but I'll take them at 30 yards if possible.  :icon_thumright: :cowboy:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

ericjames

Quote from: RAJ on February 25, 2011, 01:12:06 PM
Sure looks that way. My deal is to call one to me. Many can now sit beside a food plot and when the bird is close enough to tell it is a gobbler they can shoot it and hang it at camp. Not my bag but fine by me. I like to get real close and personal with my hunting and that is just something that keeps me going after them. When he is drumming and the ground shakes I am in my element.

Shells, chokes,and other gear have come on the scene. Seeing how far I can kill one has never been a goal of mine. I have missed under 10 yards way more than I have at 30 yards. My name is Robert and I am a turkeyholic.
First of all I would like to say hello nice to meet ya to all the fellow hunters on here.
This is me I love getting close, where i hunt 30 yards is a long shot

VAHUNTER

Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 27, 2011, 08:10:06 PM
Is there really much difference in shooting one 10 or 15 yards further?  When he crosses that magical 40 yard (or whatever #) does the disco ball drop and he starts strutting to music or something?  I shoot him as soon as he gets into my effective range.  A few yards doesnt take away the excitement.  When they start getting 15 yards and closer it does start to make the heart beat a little faster but I still enjoy it all the same.

very well said  :icon_thumright:
Good things come to those who wait

bowhunter84

Quote from: SR1 on February 25, 2011, 11:51:35 PM
I want that bird a close as I can get him but also want a load/choke combo that will smack him dead at 50 if he thumbs his beak at me on the 50 yard line. :goofball:

same here. i

Reloader

Heck, I look at the new stuff as making turkey hunting more challenging.  When you go from a basket ball size pattern at 20 to a grapefruit size pattern, you dang sure have to be on your game to seal the deal :D

I try to let them break about 35 most times for the adrenaline rush.  If they hang past that(but within my MER), I'll pop them then as well.  The most succesful turkey hunter I know says " the best time to shoot one is as soon as the bead lines up on his head." He meant that in terms of when he gets in range, shoot the sucker because way too much crap can happen.

I try to make it alittle easier at times by carrying lead.  If I set up in a spot where I'll only have clear shots to around 30yds, lead goes in the pipe.

StruttinGobbler3

Usually I like to get them within forty yards before pulling the trigger. The key word in that sentence is "like". That does not mean I won't shoot farther if needed. After blowing a pile of time, shells, and money at a pattern board I feel fully confident in the ability of my gun to knock em dead at sixty yards. I agree it's more of a thrill to call em in close, but let him hang up around 50 or 55 yards gobbling his head off at me. I have no moral objection to bustin one upside his head. Done it before, and imagine I'll do it again. To each his own, but I have no problem with someone who has truly put in the time and effort to bring the most out of their setup, and knows full well what it is ethically capable of and uses that knowledge to bring home a gobbler.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

afoshie

I like to think i have the option if he hangs up, but there is nothin like watchin him kick the crap out of the decoy that is right in front of ya.