only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

When will 50 become the new 40?????

Started by chatterbox, February 25, 2011, 12:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doubletap

Quote from: surehuntsalot on February 25, 2011, 08:16:37 PM
never been one for turkey shooting instead of turkey hunting,but that's me
if I can't get him 40 yds or less,well we will meet another day.I don't have to kill a bird to have a great huntI know alot of people work on their setup's to get the most out of them they can,which is fine

WyoHunter

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 25, 2011, 03:23:31 PM
Quote from: S.C.C on February 25, 2011, 01:58:42 PM
Why can't we do both? Now that I've learned, I think Its great to go old school and new school,fixed chokes,screwed chokes as well as lead or htl,now I have a choice for either, any day I'm in the turkey woods either is good for me!!! :)
i agree  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: i would love it if every shot was 20 or 25 yards. but a lot of times it dont work out that way.
so if Mr. Tom is going to stand out there at 45 or 50 yds with his neck stretched out slobber gobbling i'm going to bust his noggin
That's my feelings too.........  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 25, 2011, 03:23:31 PM
Quote from: S.C.C on February 25, 2011, 01:58:42 PM
Why can't we do both? Now that I've learned, I think Its great to go old school and new school,fixed chokes,screwed chokes as well as lead or htl,now I have a choice for either, any day I'm in the turkey woods either is good for me!!! :)
i agree  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: i would love it if every shot was 20 or 25 yards. but a lot of times it dont work out that way.
so if Mr. Tom is going to stand out there at 45 or 50 yds with his neck stretched out slobber gobbling i'm going to bust his noggin

I agree with most of all that.  But really 30-35yds is as close as I want them with these Hevi-13 loads.   That just gives me a little wiggling room if I am off a bit.  

clinkennuts@yahoo.com

I've killed birds between 15 and 65 yards. To me the end result is the same. You go home with a bird or you don't. I think if you know what your gun, ammo and choke combo is ethically capable of doing, do it. I don't see passing on a bird at 35 yards if I know I can make a sure shot at 45. 

woodchip

Quote from: chatterbox on February 25, 2011, 12:57:32 PM
And so on. I remember when lead was the real deal for turkeys, ethical "known" limits were at 30 yards, and everyone setup their shotguns for that range.
It just seems to me that eventually choke and load combos are going to push ethical limits beyond where we are now due to technologies in shotshell and choke development.
Do you think this will change the face of our great sport, and change the way we hunt these great birds?

I don't see why everyone worries about this stuff so much.  To Each his own!  Just because a gun will kill at 60yds doesn't mean you have to.

chatterbox

Quote from: woodchip on February 27, 2011, 03:23:26 AM
Quote from: chatterbox on February 25, 2011, 12:57:32 PM
And so on. I remember when lead was the real deal for turkeys, ethical "known" limits were at 30 yards, and everyone setup their shotguns for that range.
It just seems to me that eventually choke and load combos are going to push ethical limits beyond where we are now due to technologies in shotshell and choke development.
Do you think this will change the face of our great sport, and change the way we hunt these great birds?

I don't see why everyone worries about this stuff so much.  To Each his own!  Just because a gun will kill at 60yds doesn't mean you have to.
I'm not worried about it. I was just bringing up the question because not too long ago, 30 was the magical distance. It won't personally change a thing for me. I agree with VAHUNTERS post on this. My favorite range is from 20-30, but if he hangs up out at 45, I have no problem mashing his head.
My only point was when will the ability to kill at longer distances trump the ability to be able to work a bird on a consistant basis, and call them in close?

neal

With the tight patterens they almost need to be a little further away in fact if they get to 25yds I spook them so they get out to 50 before I shoot :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

grousec

Distance is fun on paper and counting shot in a 10" circle, but in hunting tirkey I really like the calling and being able to get them in an listen to the drumming and strutting.  To me that makes turkey hunting.  I will shoot one past 40 yds (an have) if the hunting has went on for several days and the birds are haed to call in.  But it sure isn't as much fun.  I like the show up close!!

Gobblerdn1

I think we are already there. The only time I kill one over 40 yards is when I make an error in my range estimation. I never intend to shoot one past the 40 yard mark I want to see him up close doing his thing for a few minutes before I bust him. Having a gun that will kill one at 50 or 60 yards is just like having insurance.

bbcoach

I think all of us at OG will agree we want to see and hear that Ole Gobbler in our laps but I personally want to know what my 835 will do at longer distances, if needed.  I am a Sportsman, over the age of 50, that doesn't get wrapped up in the Kill but Truly enjoys the Total Outdoor Experience that God so Graciously has Blessed each of us with!  I think 40 yards is plenty but with today's guns, chokes and ammo it is nice to know I can kill, and not cripple, Mr. Tom Turkey well past that 40 yard mark should I choose too.

turkey_slayer

Is there really much difference in shooting one 10 or 15 yards further?  When he crosses that magical 40 yard (or whatever #) does the disco ball drop and he starts strutting to music or something?  I shoot him as soon as he gets into my effective range.  A few yards doesnt take away the excitement.  When they start getting 15 yards and closer it does start to make the heart beat a little faster but I still enjoy it all the same.

Gobble!

Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 27, 2011, 08:10:06 PM
Is there really much difference in shooting one 10 or 15 yards further?  When he crosses that magical 40 yard (or whatever #) does the disco ball drop and he starts strutting to music or something?  I shoot him as soon as he gets into my effective range.  A few yards doesnt take away the excitement.  When they start getting 15 yards and closer it does start to make the heart beat a little faster but I still enjoy it all the same.

well said

woodchip

Quote from:  link=topic=2296.msg29849#msg29849 date=1298807617
40 was the traditional max range based on gun and ammo limitations.  But it has staying power because of the essence of turkey hunting -- setting up on and calling him in to you. 

My style is such that I've never attempted a shot past 40 yds or so.  But because of what I'm shooting these days, I no longer worry about how close he is, which allows me to just go with the flow of the rush  That's kind of a nice feeling.

:icon_thumright:

willy8457

Because i use muzzleloader for turkeys i like them 25 to 35 yards , It throws nice patterns at that distance, and when the smoke clears they are flopping right there.  could shoot further with this gun  But never try ed to , I have 835 that will knock them flat at 45 or 50 yards but i never carry it, but like you said if i run into that bird that won't cross that 50 yard mark I have the gun to do that with. I have only killed two gobblers with the 835 But only because i don't carry it .

turkey_slayer

Quote from:  link=topic=2296.msg31229#msg31229 date=1298901275
Quote from: poorcountrypreacher on February 27, 2011, 08:49:43 AMNow what would REALLY be different would be if I decided to sit in a blind and watch a decoy 20 yards away, and then boast about how I wouldn't dream of shooting a turkey at 50 yards. :)

Decoys have done more to change the face of turkey hunting than any shotgun, choke or shell could ever hope to.   They totally change the way the game is played, and the way our worthy opponent acts.  

That is 100% spot on