turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

When will 50 become the new 40?????

Started by chatterbox, February 25, 2011, 12:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

And so on. I remember when lead was the real deal for turkeys, ethical "known" limits were at 30 yards, and everyone setup their shotguns for that range.
It just seems to me that eventually choke and load combos are going to push ethical limits beyond where we are now due to technologies in shotshell and choke development.
Do you think this will change the face of our great sport, and change the way we hunt these great birds?

R AJ

Sure looks that way. My deal is to call one to me. Many can now sit beside a food plot and when the bird is close enough to tell it is a gobbler they can shoot it and hang it at camp. Not my bag but fine by me. I like to get real close and personal with my hunting and that is just something that keeps me going after them. When he is drumming and the ground shakes I am in my element.

Shells, chokes,and other gear have come on the scene. Seeing how far I can kill one has never been a goal of mine. I have missed under 10 yards way more than I have at 30 yards. My name is Robert and I am a turkeyholic.

bowhunter2k9

Romans 8:38-39

3" 870 Shell Shucker

It is already to the point of being more about how far, than about how close, in most of the conversations on OG. 

50 Yards will likely be used as a selling point for Loads and Chokes in the near future.

People brag much more often about how far their combo worked, than about how close they called one in.

I'm not complaining though.  It is what it is.

Gobble!

already is in my eyes. I looking at 60 yards this spring.

S.C.C

Why can't we do both? Now that I've learned, I think Its great to go old school and new school,fixed chokes,screwed chokes as well as lead or htl,now I have a choice for either, any day I'm in the turkey woods either is good for me!!! :)

hookedspur

Quote from: S.C.C on February 25, 2011, 01:58:42 PM
Why can't we do both? Now that I've learned, I think Its great to go old school and new school,fixed chokes,screwed chokes as well as lead or htl,now I have a choice for either, any day I'm in the turkey woods either is good for me!!! :)
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

BrowningGuy88

I agree about having options. I like to see his eyelashes before I shoot him, but like the option of busting him at 40.

If I lived in a state with a short season or few turkeys, I would buy the Nitro's and a scope and 3.5" gun and be merciless --- but I don't so lead and fixed chokes in 12's and lead and polishing with a trukey choke in a 20 is good for me!

But hey I also don't get upset about somebody shooting one with a rifle if it is legal.

Daman

VAHUNTER

i agree  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: i would love it if every shot was 20 or 25 yards. but a lot of times it dont work out that way.
so if Mr. Tom is going to stand out there at 45 or 50 yds with his neck stretched out slobber gobbling i'm going to bust his noggin
Good things come to those who wait

GOLD HUNTER

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 25, 2011, 03:23:31 PM
i agree  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: i would love it if every shot was 20 or 25 yards. but a lot of times it dont work out that way.
so if Mr. Tom is going to stand out there at 45 or 50 yds with his neck stretched out slobber gobbling i'm going to bust his noggin

:icon_thumright: X2

BRIAN

surehuntsalot

never been one for turkey shooting instead of turkey hunting,but that's me
if I can't get him 40 yds or less,well we will meet another day.I don't have to kill a bird to have a great huntI know alot of people work on their setup's to get the most out of them they can,which is fine
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Jbird22

Quote from: surehuntsalot on February 25, 2011, 08:16:37 PM
never been one for turkey shooting instead of turkey hunting,but that's me
if I can't get him 40 yds or less,well we will meet another day.I don't have to kill a bird to have a great huntI know alot of people work on their setup's to get the most out of them they can,which is fine

x2  :icon_thumright:

renegade19

In 2 years and 10 months when I turn 50   :wave:

SR1

I want that bird a close as I can get him but also want a load/choke combo that will smack him dead at 50 if he thumbs his beak at me on the 50 yard line. :goofball:
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

Crappiepro

Quote from: SR1 on February 25, 2011, 11:51:35 PM
I want that bird a close as I can get him but also want a load/choke combo that will smack him dead at 50 if he thumbs his beak at me on the 50 yard line. :goofball:
X2