OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What is a good solid, readily available production call?

Started by Danger DAve, April 03, 2012, 09:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houndstooth Game Calls

Danger DAve

I went out tonight and got a power crystal and a little deuce tonight based on advise from here.  I like the power crystal, but it took a while to find a striker it liked.  It sounded great when I did though.  Easy to run too.

I really liked the Lil Deuce.  A LOT.  I think it will be the first call out of my vest in the morning.  It does really good quiet yelps with good turnover.  I hate the carbon strikers, but it works better with any quality wood striker.  It seems the heavier two piece ones worked better for me.  And it gives great purrs, and I suck at purring.  The only thing I purr better with is the slate side of my pure death.  I would have tried some of the other suggestions, but the only other things they had that were suggested were the usual Primos box calls, and I'm pretty happy with the box calls I have in my vest already.

Thanks to all who gave me their two cents.

drenalinld

Those lil' duece's are straight up killers. They have glass and slate and both are very good.

Danger DAve

Thanks.  I might have to check out the slate next.  At that price there is no reason not too.  And they don't take up much room.  I bet the slate ones really purr nice.

RS

I've been using the same power crystal for 7 years.  Called in a bunch of turkeys with it. The best strikers I have found for it are the laminated primos cutting striker and the woods wise mystic stick.

For a prod. box its hard to beat a Lynch Fool Proof.  That's been my brother's go to call for over 30 years with a whole lot of success.

Turkey Trot

It seems to me that the production calls that are/were good all go out of production.

I have run the HS Strut triple glass and gotten pretty good sounds out of it.

There are smaller makers that produce calls that are so close in price that I would not want to buy the calls at a box store.

Lonnie Sneed, Sneed's Calls, of Princeton, WV is one of them.

Bobby Rison, Yellow Yelpers, Arkansas, is another.

Jimmy Nugent, Country Boy Calls, Dry Prong, La., is another.  Yellow Yelper sells his pot calls. 
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Scout24

Fourth vote for the Primos Power Crystal, an $18 plastic pot call isn't supposed to kill turkeys as good as it does.

willy8457

Primos  Old Glory Ceramic, Decent sounding call right out of the package and you can play it in a downpour. I've killed a couple Gobblers  in the rain when I didn't want to get my other calls wet.

strutstopper

A lot of gobblers have died coming to my primos power crystal, it's a great call for the price. I just bought a lil deuce this year and it sounds really good as well. Wingsupply.com has them on clearance for $5.95 if anyone is interested.  http://www.wingsupply.com/categories/game-calls/turkey-calls.html?sort=featured&page=7

glennz

Anything Cody! I have a glass pot I love and their southern belle box is very impressive!

scoot12

I would like to add WillowRidgeCalls death wish cherry bronze glass and Gene Blackshires field grade cherry slate over slate call.  Both calls have killer sound and even cost less then alot of production calls.  Scoot