OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is Hevi Shot over-rated?

Started by Clif Owen, April 03, 2012, 04:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan73

see many post of turkeys killed with expensive shells that could of easily been done just as well with lead shot, even if it extends your range by a few yards over lead, chances are very good that during any hunt the turkey will likely be one of 2 places well within within gun range or way out of gun range and that small hazy area in between of whats an ethical shot or not that many doesnt like to talk about is a rare occurence.

runngun

A crutch? Do you have fiber optic sights or a scope on your gun? Do you use smokeless powder in your shells??? I know that lead will kill turkeys cause I have killed a bunch with "just plain old lead". But now I use what to me is the best available tools I can afford to kill the most important game in my book!!!
So let me know when you start killing turkeys with a recurve/longbow!!! Of course you should also use a hand knapped piece of flint for the tip of your handmade arrow!!!
Once I learned better, I done better!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Michigander

That's not what he meant. I think he simply meant that inside of 40, a turkey will never know the difference between a good lead pattern and a good htl pattern. And I agree.

runngun

To each his own, you shoot what you want and so will I, as long as it is legal. But do not put down or judge someone simply by the shells they choose to shoot.
What do you shoot if you were to hunt a WMA where no-tox is required!!!
What if the government required that everyone shoot no-tox like they have done with waterfowl??? I killed way more ducks than you can imagine with lead "high power 6s".
And once again I agree that lead will kill turkeys out to 40. But I prefer Hevi. Actually I prefer Hevi----- but in the form of a Nitro-------in 10 GAUGE!!!

Michigander

Interesting signature you have there.

nyhunter

YES!!!!        there quality control is the worst i have seen.

mossy835

Never had a quality control issue with H13 loads.

runngun

Yes it is thanks for noticing!!! How very observant of you!!!
The OP was asking do you think that Hevi is over rated???
Not if hunters used Hevi as a "crutch"!!!

ILIKEHEVI-13

There's no doubt that lead will easily kill them at 40yds.  We all have used lead for years to kill turkeys.  But there is no question that htl loads are a step up in technology.  Whether you or anyone else chooses to shoot them is up to each individual to determine if they are worth buying.  It's just like those that choose to buy these $1500 Benelli's to turkey hunt with.  It's a personal preference or choice.  And choice is a good thing.  I myself choose to shoot Hevi-13 #7 loads.  If I didn't think they were worth it, I would go back to shooting lead.  Now that's not saying I won't ever shoot lead at turkeys again.  But I have enough Hevi-13 loads to last me awhile. 

DirtNap647

yelpy

Quote from: MrB0000M on April 07, 2012, 07:03:23 AM
i like hevi shot over lead

Better safe than sorry!! Hevi or Heavier shot for me. Why have it good when you can have it better as long as you can afford to do so.

schuylkillspur

I have to agree with the others, get a large target and see what your point of impact is first. I shot this target yesterday with my Banser choked 870  Rem and a Hevi-13 #7 @ 43yds. thats 401 hits in a 20" circle.
You hav nothing w/o FAITH

Woodsman4God

Great post here from Boff on sighting in, good advice might solve your problem

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,14641.0.html

whiskey

Go to the Dollar store and get a couple rolls of wrapping paper. It is plenty wide and you can roll a new piece for each shot. Easy to carry too.

Get some Hevi Shot #7's and test them in your new choke tube. I wouldn't hunt with lead #7's so for me I think it's worth the cost for Hevi Shot.