OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is Hevi Shot over-rated?

Started by Clif Owen, April 03, 2012, 04:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clif Owen

I have read up on it some and took the plunge 2 weeks ago. I bought 2 boxes of Hevi Shot and ordered one of their choke tubes also. They came in last week and I went to the lake for field testing (there is an old gravel pit that folks shoot in there). I needed a baseline for comparison so I shot my old ulti-full choke (the gun is a Mossberg 835) with a load of #5's at 40 measured yards. It did fairly well; not nearly what I expected but good enough. Then, I put the new Hevi-shot tube in and shot the same load at it....lead shot #5's. Got about the same pattern density...not worried. I didn't spend $100 to shoot lead anyway. Then I put a 3" #6 Hevi shot and let 'er fly. I walked up to the target and was shocked to see exactly...2...holes in the turkey outline and only 4 more within an 8" circle. Hmmm...let's try the 3 1/2" 4's...also Hevi shot. It did a litle better. I had 4 in the turkey and another 4 in the same circle. Now I'm at a loss. I have tried e-mailing Hevi shot to ask them. They won't answer. I signed up for their forums...twice. Haven't been approved yet. I'm not looking to start trouble. I just want to know what might be the cause of my poor performance. I was told to ask you guys and see what might pop up.
Thanks!!
Clif

Clif Owen

OK guys...I really don't want to bash the company or anything. I'm just frustrated and looking for possible causes for my problem. I just called them and am waiting for a return call from someone else there.

Still would like to know if you have any ideas though.

chatterbox

Here is a few things you can try.
First, are you shooting at a large 36"X36" piece of patterning paper? Your hevishot and lead can have a different POI's.  If you were aiming at the same target, it is very likely you POI from your hevishot hit in a different area than your lead, even out of the same choke. If you don't have a large piece of paper to shoot at, you will never know where your core density (10" circle) is.
Secondly, it's possible your gun doesn't like the hevishot choke. There are numerous chokes for the 835 out there. There are .670 Pure Golds, .675 SumToy Customs, .690 Jellyheads, and the list goes on and on.
The hardest part of getting your shotgun to shoot well, is matching a choke to a load. It can be very frustrating, and time consuming.
Fortunately, there are alot of guys that shoot 835's, and have had decent luck patterning that gun. My 835 shoots well with both a SumToy .675, and a Pure Gold .670.
I would start with the large piece of paper first, then go from there.
BTW, there is no need to shoot Hevi-13's in #4 shot. Number 6 will hit just as hard, and give you much better density than the 4's.

Good luck!

DocHolliday

No need for bigger than 7's. The whole advatage of HTL stuff is to be able to use smaller size shot with equal or greater lethality! To do otherwise is to minimize the advantage gained. Also the POA/POI point is valid just a little less. BTW, we (the people in my family that I load for) are regularly killing turkeys at 20+ yds with Hevi 9 shot!

WyoHunter

I'd shoot at 25 yards to see where you're hitting on a large sheet of paper. Once you're POA/POI are determined adjust sights. Then get  a box of Hevi-13 7's and shoot at 30 yards and 40 yards and check pattern density at each yardage. Also I'd give the barrel a good cleaning before shooting and then run a patch between each shot. Let us know how you do the next time you shoot.  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Clif Owen

Update: Just spoke to a lady with the company.. Her opinion is that it is the point of aim/impact too. They seem to be very helpful. I'm kind of old-school and good customer service goes a long way with me toward future business.

The reason I bought 4's in the first place was prejudice in that my gun with lead shot never performed well with them. I always needed and used 4's. I'm really new to the hevi shot concept. I guess I will try all this and see what that does for me.

chatterbox

Quote from: Clif Owen on April 03, 2012, 04:45:33 PM
Update: Just spoke to a lady with the company.. Her opinion is that it is the point of aim/impact too. They seem to be very helpful. I'm kind of old-school and good customer service goes a long way with me toward future business.

The reason I bought 4's in the first place was prejudice in that my gun with lead shot never performed well with them. I always needed and used 4's. I'm really new to the hevi shot concept. I guess I will try all this and see what that does for me.
Good luck, and keep us posted! :icon_thumright:

HogBiologist

Certified Wildlife Biologist

worth612000

Go by a local furniture store and you can get some large pieces of cardbord if needed. Cheap targets "FREE"

mossy835

The advice above is what your need to do. Find your point of impact versus your point of aim first. That shotgun will perform with HS from #4 to #7 shot as well as any other shotgun! Good luck and let us know!

gtrjames

I checked my gun with a factory full choke at 25 yds...mounted/aimed and fired until I saw the concentration of shot on the pattern board.
A lot cheaper than turkey loads, and more pleasant.
Then you at least have a good idea of your guns poi with how you aim, and it gives a little more confidence in your gun which doesn't hurt.
Then onto the turkey loads and the 35/40 yd tests.
That's how I do it and it works well for me...just my 2 cents.
good luck

runngun

Yep, it IS WORTH EVERY CENT!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

joker

Lowes & homedepot sell 3' wide roles of Brown paper used for painting $10. You can cut out a lot of nice big 3' x 3' pattering targets.

coyotetrpr

In my opinion, for shots 40 yards and under hevishot and other htl loads are not over-rated, but not needed. They pattern very well and hit very hard. I just believe that if you are shooting at 40 and under the expense of these shells makes them hard to justify. By the way I am not trying to start an argument nor am I endorsing shots over 40 yards.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

surehuntsalot

it is a crutch that alot of hunters think they've got to have to kill a bird
it's not the harvest,it's the chase