OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Keeping a box call quiet?

Started by wisconsinteacher, April 03, 2012, 03:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

What do you do to keep you box call from making noise while moving throught woods?  I put a piece of soft felt between the lid and box but I had to rechalk a lot.  Any ideas?

MOStrutter

A rubberband or a tight piece of elastic around the call should stop the sounds.

xcallmaker

Quote from: MOStrutter on April 03, 2012, 03:48:57 PM
A rubberband or a tight piece of elastic around the call should stop the sounds.
X2 :icon_thumright:
Kelly Gadus
Www.gadusgamecalls.com

Turkey Trot

We had a good thread on this a short while back.

In addition to rubbernads, some suggested pipecleaners, to which some expressed concern about moisture retention.

Another interesting suggestion was ponytail holders from Wally mart's beauty section.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Spring Creek Calls

One of those wide rubber bands that are used in the vegetable section of your super market works great. They do not need to be doubled.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

TRKYHTR

If you can get a good box call holster they work great. No need for rubber bands. I stick a piece of scotchbrite between the lid and paddle and then put the box in the holster. No sound at all.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

hookedspur

Quote from: TRKYHTR on April 03, 2012, 06:54:30 PM
If you can get a good box call holster they work great. No need for rubber bands. I stick a piece of scotchbrite between the lid and paddle and then put the box in the holster. No sound at all.

TRKYHTR
This is what I do  As well .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

shadetree callers

Buy yourself a Call Muzzle . The are the best tools for silencing that call that talks while you walk . The NWTF did have license to sell them in the Turkey Shoppe . Check there or google call muzzle . They cost $5 and work better than any other method . They are easy to use also .

Old Gobbler

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on April 03, 2012, 03:46:37 PM
What do you do to keep you box call from making noise while moving throught woods?  I put a piece of soft felt between the lid and box but I had to rechalk a lot.  Any ideas?
this is what I do with my push pin calls ---- Get some thin nylon mens dress socks "church socks" I like to call them - and put the calls in them you can fold over the ends and double up the thickness also -keeps them silent, more dry ,and from getting dinged up too
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

TREEDOG

Quote from: TRKYHTR on April 03, 2012, 06:54:30 PM

TRKYHTR

I use papper towel between the lid and paddle.

Turkey Beard

I use toilet paper and use a ponytail holder.  Handy for other uses, too...
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: Turkey Beard on April 04, 2012, 10:55:26 AM
I use toilet paper and use a ponytail holder.  Handy for other uses, too...

Is that what they call multi-tasking?
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

VanHelden Game Calls

I recently came across a primos product for this task.  They looked like the perfect thing for keeping the call quiet and will pick some up myself.

basically a figure 8 rubber band.
http://www.basspro.com/Primos-Lock-Jaw-Box-Call-Silencer-Bands/product/40518300/273153

Flydown

I leave my box calls at the house because they are bulky and make way to much noise! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

shadetree callers

Quote from: Flydown on April 04, 2012, 10:34:07 PM
I leave my box calls at the house because they are bulky and make way to much noise! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

My boxcalls make the kind of noise that draws in turkeys !!! Can't leave home without 'em !