OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New 835 Mossberg

Started by va longbeard, April 02, 2012, 06:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

va longbeard

Took the plunge and bought a new 835 with 24 inch barrel today.

I have always been a Remington man owning 2 870s and 2 11-87 shotguns.

With Hevi shot 7s or Nitros what is the best choke out there?

Will a limbsaver help the recoil?

Is it worth adding foam or weight to the hollow buttstock for recoil reduction?

Looking forward to patterning this gun after a good deep cleaning of the barrel, right now it is very dirty from the factory test shots.

Any advice much appreciated!

nogoodreezen

Congrats on the new gun. I really like my new 835. Ive had it about a month. I am shooting 3.5 hevi13 7s out of mine. I tried the jellyhead .690 out of my gun first but was very disappointed with it. I bought a pure gold. 670 last week and am now thrilled with the gun. The wind was blowing pretty hard the day I shot it and still put 192 in the 10 " circle at 44 yards. Its worth looking at. I put a limbsaver on mine and it helps but the recoil is still pretty rough out of those big shells. Good luck with your gun. Hope you like it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

allaboutshooting

Quote from: va longbeard on April 02, 2012, 06:26:14 PM

Looking forward to patterning this gun after a good deep cleaning of the barrel, right now it is very dirty from the factory test shots.

First of all, congratulations on a great gun. They are indeed shooters! I would either put a Limbsaver on it or just put a Shooter's Friend Recoil Pad over the existing one, if the recoil seems excessive. I have noticed a marked improvement in the factory pads on the newer Mossberg 12 gauge guns.

I'd recommend that you take a look at the Hevi-13 Turkey Choke for that gun. I've had so many folks write me and send pictures of the patterns they are seeing with that choke, especially with 3" Hevi-13 shotshells.

The Pure Gold has also been a favorite with my readers as well and the SSX has always been popular with that gun.

Whatever you choose, best of luck with that new gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

runngun

Pure gold choke, if it were mine I would call Kick-eez recoil pad I bet they make a pad that will fit. If they don't the grind to fit is super simple. I have limbsaver's too, and they do not compare to the kick-eez. Congrats on the new gun!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

pseshooter300

Ya I to am wondering what choke performs the best with this gun I have heard a lot of good things on the pure gold
Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

ILIKEHEVI-13

If you want to shoot Hevi-13 3.5" #7's it will be hard to consistently beat a Star Dot choke.  But if you can't find one for a reasonable price,  I would buy a Tru-Glo SSX .670.  

mossy835

Quote from: va longbeard on April 02, 2012, 06:26:14 PM

Have had mine for a while and it is a shooter. On the recoil I do not think there is much difference between brands of shotguns but rather the shell you shoot. Mine likes the 3 inch and so do I. The Limb Saver works well for me with no issues (yes I do pattern 3.5 HM #7 also). I use the Carlson's choke non ported as my barrel is already ported.
As others on this post have said get out and shoot it, if price is an issue try some target loads on the clays to get comfortable with the gun. Have fun and good luck. Hope yours is as good as mine turned out to be!

davisd9

If yours looks like this:

Than there is a limbsaver recoil pad that fits it and I would definitely suggest it, night and day difference.

If yours looks different then I would still say the same pad would fit it. 

I would try a Pure Gold or SSX.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mossy835

Here is an older model 835 with a grind to fit Limb Saver I did on my friends gun. Made all of the difference in the world!

ericjames

i just got a new one also and it loves the pure gold .670 with winchester xtended range 3.5 #6 ... the factory recoil pad  on mine is just as good as a limb saver

Philippe

Quote from: ericjames on April 03, 2012, 03:07:03 PM
i just got a new one also and it loves the pure gold .670 with winchester xtended range 3.5 #6 ... the factory recoil pad  on mine is just as good as a limb saver

I have to agree with ya that Pure Gold .670 performs amazing with lead in my 835, and those Limbsavers are just a gimmic, no better than the factory pad. Besides, are most of going to be shooting all day at birds or just one or two shots a season.

va longbeard

Quote from: davisd9 on April 03, 2012, 02:37:23 PM
If yours looks like this:

Than there is a limbsaver recoil pad that fits it and I would definitely suggest it, night and day difference.

That's my gun, looks just like it.

I think I am going to order the Limbsaver as it made it made a big difference shooting 3.5 inch shells out of my 870s.

Also considering the pure gold 670 to combo up with some Nitros.

Already busted out the trigger group to send to Bill Springfield for a trigger job.

Thanks for all the great advice.

If yours looks different then I would still say the same pad would fit it. 

I would try a Pure Gold or SSX.

mossy835

The limb saver does make a difference from first hand experience well worth the money and definitely not a gimmick.

Half fast

Quote from: mossy835 on April 03, 2012, 07:49:18 PM
The limb saver does make a difference from first hand experience well worth the money and definitely not a gimmick.
:agreed: Heck yes it does

ericjames

I agree if you have the old style pad on it you need something. But if the all new ones  are like mine it feels like it already has a limb saver on it  from factory.