turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

suggestions

Started by stilker, February 25, 2011, 04:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stilker

Shooting an 870. 23" barrel. 3" shell.  Plan on shooting lead because shots are usually 40 yards and closer and I want to save money.  I already have a kicks GT 665.  Have flirted with the idea of getting a Jellyhead 665. Which lead shell would you recommend between the Win Super X (gray box), the Win Supreme Double X, or the Win Supreme High Velocity? And then what shot size between 5's or 6's? And then should I just try the kicks and not bother with getting the jellyhead? Also, why are the gray box shells so cheap?

ground control

I've killed a few birds with the Double X's and they did a fine job. Last year I bought a new choke and thus a boatload of shells. If I weren't shooting the magblends, I'd be shooting the Supreme High Velocity #6's. They patterned nicely out of my gun. But that's the difference, my gun. If I were you I'd buy a box of each, and if the budget will allow in both shot sizes. If not, then I'd go with the #6's. May as well try the choke you got before buying another one. I believe the super X's are not copper plated shot and are basically just high brass magnums. Not exactly sure. A cheap shell I've seen pattern fairly decent is the remington nitro turkey, but I don't know if they're available in #6's. Find which one your gun likes and you'll have a sufficient pattern for killin birds. Also, if you haven't done so already I'd invest in some decent "iron" sights with windage and elevation adjustments. Seldom does a gun shoot to point of aim when shooting tight patterns. Hope this helps.  :anim_25:
"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me Major Tom?"

VAHUNTER

good reply Ground Control  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
i also agree with using 6's. i have gotten great lead patternns from the Winchester high velocity. i also recommend that you try the Rem Nitro's
Good things come to those who wait

S.C.C

DUNN's has the old Federal 12ga. 3" 2oz #4 for 6.99 a box.They should shoot well with the choke you
have now and will stomp a gobblers head as well!! :icon_thumright:

stilker

Anybody know where a man can get some pre flight conrol federal 6's? Yall had any luck with the new flight control lead?

surehuntsalot

Quote from: stilker on February 25, 2011, 08:11:12 PM
Anybody know where a man can get some pre flight conrol federal 6's? Yall had any luck with the new flight control lead?

my 835 with  a .676 Stardot choke using 3.5" FC #6's

same gun with a .710 factory full choke using same shell

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

devin4484

My step dad swears by the flitecontrol wads.  He LOVES em.  He uses 3.5 hv 5's 2oz load and has killed birds from 15 yards to 60 yards and is using just using the lead ones in red box.    

surehuntsalot

Quote from: devin4484 on February 25, 2011, 08:35:04 PM
My step dad swears by the flitecontrol wads.  He LOVES em.  He uses 3.5 hv 5's 2oz load and has killed birds from 15 yards to 60 yards and is using just using the lead ones in red box.    

I've used them for years,they will do the job
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

SKFOOTER

Quote from: devin4484 on February 25, 2011, 08:35:04 PM
What choke does he shot them thru??

allaboutshooting

Quote from: stilker on February 25, 2011, 04:26:26 AM
Shooting an 870. 23" barrel. 3" shell.  Plan on shooting lead because shots are usually 40 yards and closer and I want to save money.  I already have a kicks GT 665.  Have flirted with the idea of getting a Jellyhead 665. Which lead shell would you recommend between the Win Super X (gray box), the Win Supreme Double X, or the Win Supreme High Velocity? And then what shot size between 5's or 6's? And then should I just try the kicks and not bother with getting the jellyhead? Also, why are the gray box shells so cheap?

First of all, I'd "deep clean" the bore. It will really help a lot.

Secondly, I'd go a little tighter with your choke at least to .655 and you can go to the .640 range. The Gray Winchester or the HV Winchester lead shells in #6 shot will deliver great patterns with your gun, with a tighter choke and a deep cleaned barrel, in my experience.

The gray shells are just plain lead shot, an inexpensive hull, wad, etc. but they work very well. You can buy them most times for $5.00 per box of 10 and they'll kill any turkey within 40 yards, properly choked.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

stilker