Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Benelli SBE II, I.C. BDS .665, Winchester ER 6's

Started by Borden811, March 27, 2012, 09:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borden811

Well, after all my testing, here's the pattern I've decided to hunt with this year. I had other patterns with hevi 7's that had more in the 10"(a couple of patterns with 250+) but the 20" was sparse with those patterns, as they had a really dense core. I picked this one, becasue of the overall evenness, and the bigger pellets being launched at a higher velocity. Plus, I was tired of worrying if I had the right lot# in the hevi 13 7's. So, here she is. Thoughts...good, bad, ugly?

SBE II, 26in bbl, cleaned(not deep cleaned), I.C. .665, Winchster ER 3.5in, 2oz 6's, sunny and 65 degrees, taped 40 yards.

168 in the 10"
170 in the 10"-20"
338 total in the 20"

hunter-b

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

bird

That is an outstanding pattern and you need to not look any more for another.

chubbyone

I shoot a sbe2 with a 24 inch barrel and Indian Creek choke. Was shooting hevi #7's and putting up great numbers. After missing two turkeys ( my fault, not gun or shells) I am switching back to hevi #6's which also shoot great but a better 20 inch pattern at 40 yards.  I hope I don't get kicked off the forum for saying this but I feel like you could shoot to tight of a pattern. especially if the bird is really close. Just my opinion.

nyhunter

:z-winnersmiley: great pattern. I'm getting identical results with my 24" SBEII and I.C .665. when it "normal hunting temps" frost on the ground to 40 0r 50 in the morning it drops to 135-145 and when its warm 70+ it shoots 175-180. I'll take that any day.

yelpy

That is a very nice pattern for hunting.. Do you get consistant even patterns out of the IC?

beagler

Looks good! Glad that choke worked out for you.  ;D
Never Misses

captin_hook

Borden811

Quote from: yelpy on April 07, 2012, 03:40:59 PM

That is a very nice pattern for hunting.. Do you get consistant even patterns out of the IC?

Yelpy, everything I've shot out of it so far has patterned great, and has been even.  I shot it again today and put up 280 with the hevi 7's, and just for fun I tried some lead winchester supreme high velocity 5's. It was shooting mid 90's with those, and was a nice even pattern. If I was still shooting lead, I wouldn't be afraid to hunt with it, but I've got much better choices with the HTL patterns I'm putting up.

yelpy

Quote from: Borden811 on April 07, 2012, 08:10:43 PM
Quote from: yelpy on April 07, 2012, 03:40:59 PM

Yelpy, everything I've shot out of it so far has patterned great, and has been even.  I shot it again today and put up 280 with the hevi 7's, and just for fun I tried some lead winchester supreme high velocity 5's. It was shooting mid 90's with those, and was a nice even pattern. If I was still shooting lead, I wouldn't be afraid to hunt with it, but I've got much better choices with the HTL patterns I'm putting up.

Thanks...