OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

#5s VS #6s

Started by Rockhound, March 27, 2012, 10:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockhound

Ive always been a #5 fan but looking into some number 6s where will the energy run out on a #6 as compared to a #5?

3" 870 Shell Shucker

#6's will do 40 Yards.  #5's will get your post deleted on Old Gobbler. :TooFunny:

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I bet that 90% of turkey hunters ask themselves this same question, "5's or 6's?".  The other 10% probably use 4's.  I see 5's as being the perfect compromise between pattern numbers and on-target energy.

jtg88

I know a #6 lead pellet will hold enough energy to crack a gobbler skulls at 42 yards.  I choose pattern density over the additional energy of a #5 pellet.  If you can't put pellets on target, that extra energy doesn't matter.

If I could get a #5 load to throw 130+ at 40 yards I'd prefer that but I haven't been able to do it yet.

stinkpickle

#6's are fine...but that's coming from a guy who shoots #7 1/2's.   ;)

paboxcall

Quote from: jtg88 on March 27, 2012, 11:21:17 AM
I know a #6 lead pellet will hold enough energy to crack a gobbler skulls at 42 yards.  I choose pattern density over the additional energy of a #5 pellet.  If you can't put pellets on target, that extra energy doesn't matter.

If I could get a #5 load to throw 130+ at 40 yards I'd prefer that but I haven't been able to do it yet.

Well stated.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Rockhound

I can do 140+ with my 835 and fed fcw, believe it or not the xx mags in number 4 will put up extremely good numbers with my 10 gauge, But i have found some number 6 for my 10 (first ones i have seen besides fed fcw) but dunno if i want to risk the 6s when i can get 5s

Longshanks

I know a #6 lead pellet will hold enough energy to crack a gobbler skulls at 42 yards.  I choose pattern density over the additional energy of a #5 pellet.  If you can't put pellets on target, that extra energy doesn't matter.

That's my experience as well. I can't break 100 @ 40 with 5's with all the testing I have done. Killed allot turkeys with them when I used to shoot 30yds or less. In the old days we patterned at 30 and kept the shots close. Until I started testing at 40 I had no idea how bad lead patterns detiorate from 30-40yds. Testing and good choke/shell combos has me shooting 160's @ 40 with 3" 6's with Pb ..I have only recently started hunting with Pb again thanks to the help I have gotten on Old Gobbler. Thanks guys!

surehuntsalot

I love my #5's
will use 6's from time to time,but 95% of the time it's #5's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

FttFttVroom!

The 6's will do the job as far as you need to be shooting.  I've shot lead 6's several years and they always delivered.

dawei

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on March 27, 2012, 11:04:54 AM
I bet that 90% of turkey hunters ask themselves this same question, "5's or 6's?".  The other 10% probably use 4's.  I see 5's as being the perfect compromise between pattern numbers and on-target energy.
That would be me, and in a 20ga no less. LOL! :z-winnersmiley:

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

surehuntsalot

found me some Winchester #4's in 20ga that I got to try out

dawei

Quote from: surehuntsalot on April 03, 2012, 08:41:17 PMfound me some Winchester #4's in 20ga that I got to try out
Which Winchester® load, Supreme™, Double X®, or Super-X®?

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

bushwhacker

They have winchester double x 1.25 ounce 4's at wally world for 8 bucks a box.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: dawei on April 03, 2012, 09:25:37 PM
Quote from: surehuntsalot on April 03, 2012, 08:41:17 PMfound me some Winchester #4's in 20ga that I got to try out
Which Winchester® load, Supreme™, Double X®, or Super-X®?

Supreme Double X